7acres Posted By 7acres, Jun 11, 2018 at 8:23 AM

1. 7acres

7acres
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2013
    Loc:
    South East USA
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kborndale

kborndale
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 9, 2008
    Loc:
    LI
  3. T-roy_

T-roy_
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 30, 2015
    Loc:
    Central Minnesota
    Traps get shredded by the wind within a year. Not to mention the mess in your wood stacks. Its no fun picking tiny strips of tarp out of every nook and cranny.

My neighbor has old billboard material covering his stacks. Been using the same one for about 3 years now. So I guess you could say they hold up pretty well, but I wouldn’t know first hand. Rubber roofing also works great if you can get your hands on some.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    mtarbert likes this.
  4. Manly

Manly
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 8, 2017
    Loc:
    CT
    I have used Northern Tool wood tarps for many years. They are long and narrow designed specifically for the top of wood pile rows. I would get about 3 years use out of a tarp. Not ideal but the fit is perfect; 6' x 24' pre-finished size.

5. Woody5506

Woody5506
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2017
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I'm not a huge fan of tarps but for now it's all I have and they've held up fine going on 2 years now, and they aren't fancy...They are the green ones from Harbor Freight. I think the 8 x 15 is what I usually get, or maybe 8x11. Either way the price is right and they hold up fine. The oldest ones are starting to fade out a bit and might have a hole here or there but they aren't falling apart.

6. barnaclebob

barnaclebob
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 29, 2017
    Loc:
    Puget Sound
    Has anyone tried using greenhouse plastic? Thats what I'll be using to solar kiln and its held up on my raised bed hoops for over 5 years now. It usually only gets a few months of use a year though in the spring and early summer. Its supposed to have a UV treatment on it to keep it from from disentegrating and I think its rated for 4 years use on greenhouses.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/4-year-greenhouse-film/plastic-film

7. Montanalocal

Montanalocal
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 22, 2014
    Loc:
    Helena MT
    I like the wraps that lumber yards get around their bunks of lumber. They throw them in their dumpsters, and are glad to get rid of them. The ones I have are going on 3 years.

8. Vikestand

Vikestand
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 29, 2014
    Loc:
    Missurah
    I have a billboard tarp I have used the last 6 years, and it works great. I cut it to size so that I can hang retired soil cutting teeth from a backhoe, on all four corners and the tarp is off the ground.

I also use rubber belting now during this time of the year. We have mining companies in town so it's not that hard to get ahold of some. Keeps the rain off the top and lets the air flow through the side.

7acres likes this.
  9. blades

blades
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2008
    Loc:
    WI, Leroy
    been using the billboard stuff for quite a while - only thing better is used rubber roofing- they want big bucks here for it used. heck its hard to get free manure around here as well.

10. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Can you get one with a huge bikini chick on it?
    I can see the wife shaking her head as I stare at my wood pile.

T-roy_ likes this.
  11. mtarbert

mtarbert
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 23, 2006
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Minus the "Pile" ?

12. gabenson

gabenson
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 31, 2018
    Loc:
    Ga
    I have the Northern Tool wood tarps for 2 years now and have no complaints so far.

13. 7acres

7acres
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2013
    Loc:
    South East USA
    I can't find "used rubber roofing" for sale on Craigslist. In my experience roofing trash just all goes in a dumpster and hauled off to the dump after a job is done. Is this just something where if you know a roofing company they could hook you up? But otherwise you'll never see it for sale?

14. 7acres

7acres
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2013
    Loc:
    South East USA
    I found this website. www.RepurposedMaterialsInc.com They've got a lot of interesting offerings. Roof Mop Down is one of them. Apparently that's the industry lingo for roof rubber.

15. spudman99

spudman99
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 26, 2018
    Loc:
    Yardley, PA
    Roof mop down is not a viable product for this use. What is contained in the prior link is an asphalt impregnated mat that is sealed by "mopping" on heated asphalt compound. What they are selling are the rolls that are unused. I would not put that product on my wood.

An alterative is what is called "rubber roofing", which is a torch down modified bitumen product that contains a rubber product with a dry layer of asphalt on the bottom. When installed roofers use a torch to heat the rolls after they are laid or rolled out, melting the underlying asphalt to form a secure attachment to the roof. Layers weld themselves to each other via this melted asphalt.

The rubber can be purchased for about $75 a roll and comes in a 3' x 33' section. Don't know if using this product in full sun would result in the asphalt melting onto the stacked wood pile, but I wouldn't take the chance. Better alternatives out there, but props to @7acres for at least making the suggestion.

7acres likes this.