Used Englander Pellet Stove - Plastic Smell and in Need of Model identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

charleighg

Nov 22, 2020
Maine
Hi all!
I recently purchased an Englander pellet stove off facebook market place and have installed a 3 inch double walled smoke pipe that goes out the wall. When I purchased the pellet stove, I noticed it is very dusty in the back and was full of ash in the chamber. I cleaned it out as best as I could for now and ran it. I clicked start up and it started up normal, I then raised the Blower Speed and Heat range to 5 & 5. After about 30 minutes, there is a plastic smell coming from behind the pellet stove. We removed the back panel after shutting it down and the smell stops when it’s shutting down. Nothing seems to be melting, and pellets burn perfectly (as so it seems). I’ve ran it 3 times now and on heat and range settings set to 1 & 1, it still has a plastic burn smell after 30 minutes; filling up the air with this smell. We were not given a manual and the people who sold it to us and do not have any recollection of this smell happening..
The last time I ran it, I ran it on heat and blower range at 8 & 9 and the plastic smell happened, and eventually the pellets stopped pushing out and the flame went down and there were pellets on the plate hot like coals but there was no smoke or anything. I am also wondering if this is because it shut down from over heat or if the tray had too much ash even though it burned for 30 minutes..
We also do not know the model of this Englander and have looked all over for a model number. Nothing!
Anyways, if anyone has advice, thank you so much for your time! I have pictures attached.
(There is also some sort of fiber glass and tinfoil contraption in the back. I forgot what it is called but could this be potential issue?
Thanks
Also No error codes have showed up.

1D54A050-216E-48FC-B5DD-A4DB227AA33E.jpeg 07036C05-E3BD-4FFA-B517-EAD1F2776B84.jpeg A42CC198-A652-46FF-8936-CA5E329F88F2.jpeg 1C398042-A3BD-4553-9C6B-CF9E365376F6.jpeg 061A6A80-EA1F-4BB2-8060-CE1D87B26F03.jpeg C846B643-5513-424E-AD03-7B07BB7BD8BE.jpeg 787F7B64-EE1E-4591-87A6-A9C206F2AA0A.jpeg 9B41E367-B285-4567-92BC-5F10EBEE3F34.jpeg BE3A3B89-EDFF-40F3-BDBD-7B5CDF46BEB8.jpeg F5CC8783-F9B3-4DBA-8D1E-E3F2D6D9B432.jpeg 911DF187-7F52-45BF-A1F2-C04470CECACC.jpeg 36D4F3FD-D175-450A-A163-44AE591CA7BB.jpeg

That is an englander 25PDV, there is no plastic in the stove. The auger bearing seals are teflon. If the stove was dirty, that may be your source for the odor. This stove and its lil brother The 25PDVC are good stoves but they run best when clean. Read your manual and get to know your stove.
your manual Here

the foil is an insulation to reduce heat to motors from the exhaust

And for what its worth, the stove model is on a plate on the underside of the hopper lid.

Eric

Reactions: gfreek and Ssyko
That stove needs a major clean. the smell could be coming from the convection blower or the exhaust blower. They are both very dirty.

From the photos the whole stove is dirty
A clean stove is a happy stove

That is an englander 25PDV, there is no plastic in the stove. The auger bearing seals are teflon. If the stove was dirty, that may be your source for the odor. This stove and its lil brother The 25PDVC are good stoves but they run best when clean. Read your manual and get to know your stove.
your manual Here

the foil is an insulation to reduce heat to motors from the exhaust
Boy that brings back memories. I actually wore one of those out. In realty they are pretty primitive especially with the limited option control board and I agree with Ssyko, they have to be clean to run properly and that one is a MESS. Kind of surprised it will run at all actually. it needs to be taken apart and the room air blower cleaned and lubricated and the exhaust fan blower, same deal, have no clue what the interior looks like (firebox) but if the backside is an indication, I bet it's a wreck inside too.

Those units because of their primitive design require frequent and extensive cleanings and I bet the smell you smell really isn't plastic but a dead and roasting rodent. They are ok for a first stove but there are much better units out there both in heat output and design.