Used Husky Saw Worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
Husky 455 Rancher on Craigslist. Text of the ad below. Worth persuing or not? My old saw runs fine, but its a 10 year old Craftsman 18" saw and it tends to bog when I'm working on bigger stuff. It would make a great 14-16" saw, but at 18" its low on torque.

Husqvarna chainsaw Rancher 455 - like new - costs $400 new.

Shy on details I know, but lets assume the seller is honest. If its in good shape is it worth my $200?

Yes, that is a good price. If it doesn't work out I have a few nice ones that I would sell for the same money.

No. Bad deal. Purchase new from a solid dealer. Dont buy someone else`s basket case. Don`t be cheap. Buy quality stuff to begin with. Don`t half ass it or you will be sorry. Don`t be a cheapskate when it comes to fire in your home. Being cheap is costly. Dont be cheap.

glenng said:
No. Bad deal. Purchase new from a solid dealer. Dont buy someone else`s basket case. Don`t be cheap. Buy quality stuff to begin with. Don`t half ass it or you will be sorry. Don`t be a cheapskate when it comes to fire in your home. Being cheap is costly.

Then again go ahead and buy a used saw. I have a 10 year old 066 that I`ll make you a smokin deal on. I only used it once. Its like brand new, I swear. Honest.

Now why come out like this with an attitiude and a big chip on your shoulder? You seem to have made the decision that I'm either gullible (did you know that gullible isn't in the dictionary?) or dumb...possibly both. I like to think I'm neither.

There do not appear to be any solid dealers for Husky saws these days. I only see them in big box stores like TCS...they don't service them...I could go on Amazon too I guess.

Well, thats not 100% accurate...the local hardware store does sell Husky saws, but if you want a 455 Rancher you're gonna pay well over $500 for it. Should I buy it from them at a $100+ over MSRP markup because its new and they're a dealer? Thats not

I've bought new cars and used cars in my lifetime...ditto with power equipment. I have yet to find a compelling reason to buy brand new in every case...the idea that you're buing someone else's problems is for the uneducated consumer. The idea that by buying new equipment will for some reason prevent you from having problems is equally flawed.

The ad is local to me...I'm not going to paypal the dude 2 bills and hope I get a decent product in my mailbox...if I'm interested in persuing the transaction I'll go to his house, start the saw and run it for a bit...maybe even take a couple logs with me in my truck and cut them up. If its a piece of junk I won't consider it...if its truly in good shape then maybe we'll talk.

So we've got 1 yes vote and 1 no vote so far.

glenng said:
No. Bad deal. Purchase new from a solid dealer. Dont buy someone else`s basket case. Don`t be cheap. Buy quality stuff to begin with. Don`t half ass it or you will be sorry. Don`t be a cheapskate when it comes to fire in your home. Being cheap is costly. Dont be cheap.

huh - if you like to blow your money that's fine BUT

i paid $300.00 for this

chaps002.jpg

a new 272 xp and i don't think it was ever used before i got it.. you tell me where i can find the same saw for the same money

you can find some good deals on CL if you know what you're looking at

oh and i bought this qf 2100i for $250.00

chaps008.jpg

damn i know it was cheap - i just hope my house does not burn down :rolleyes:

glenng said:
glenng said:
No. Bad deal. Purchase new from a solid dealer. Dont buy someone else`s basket case. Don`t be cheap. Buy quality stuff to begin with. Don`t half ass it or you will be sorry. Don`t be a cheapskate when it comes to fire in your home. Being cheap is costly.
I have a 10 year old 066 that I`ll make you a smokin deal on.
I know you're were being facetious, but if you actually do have an 066 you'd like to sell... please send me a PM with details. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.