Used Lopi Liberty, Morso 3600 or new Drolet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JE NH

Dec 6, 2021
Hi.. In central NH and trying to upgrade my stove..I have a big 1990s country flame with a blower in my living room and it has been a good stove.. I have a 1978 log cabin with about 1300 square feet ..not well insulated and cathedral ceilings. I'm thinking of either getting a good used stove or a new mid range...I found a nice Morso 3600 from 2008 and a Lopi Liberty (not sure year) with a blower.. thinking of a new Drolet 3000 or similar though ..any advice would be much appreciated.. I would like to stay on a budget because I can use the money on other things in my home repairs.. Thanks!

If the place is poorly insulated, that is the best place to invest. That said, I would lean toward large for the current situation. That would be the Liberty or a Drolet HT3000.

Are there ceiling fans in place and running?

Reactions: EbS-P
I've had spray foam put in my eaves but it's old foam board on the ceiling under sheathing..working on more insulation.. I've done half the windows and it warmed the place up significantly. Two ceiling fans work and help quite alot.. thanks for your input.

I should've said spray foam in ceilings above knee walls and in an attached cold room. Would you primarily stay away from the morso because of availability or the size ? I like the looks of it but might not be as practical.. also doesn't have a blower.. I like the drolets but prefer ones with legs and pedestal are becoming more prevalent.. Lopi Liberty pretty safe used if the components don't look too cracked? I think I could get one for $500 locally. Thanks again for your time and input.. my country flame has served me well but I'd like something more efficient and durable.. attached are pics of the Morso that I was interested in checking out. Thanks!

Screenshot_20211206-131846.png Screenshot_20211206-131908.png

The Drolet Legend III is a big bellied stove with legs. The bare bones, legged version of the same stove is the Austral.

The Liberty had a weak link at the back of the firebox where the vertical secondary supply tube meet the horiz. manifold that feeds the tubes. Look for cracks there. Even if there is a hairline crack, there is a kit to fix this. If you see a stainless T plate in that area, the shield has already been added.

The Morso got a new coat of paint to spruce it up but it looks like it's showing its age in the firebox.

Reactions: clancey
Thank you begreen. That helps me alot.. I'll lean towards the Legend III but may take a look at the Liberty.. I'll keep reading other threads too to learn more about what others are doing. I don't mind spending good money on a higher end stove if I can plan on it lasting reliably for a long period of time.

In that case I would also consider a 3 cu ft stove like the Summit Classic by Pacific Energy and Osburn 3300. The new Lopi Liberty NexGen has some nice improvements too.

Begreen.. do you have much experience with Blaze King? I've definitely seen that they get done good reviews. Someone is selling the Ashford 20.2 and a Princess PE 32. Brand new . . They seem pretty reasonable in price...think it would be smart to pursue one of those for my situation? Do they have issues with anything that you know of? Thanks again for your time.

Personally, no. Bholler and Highbeam have run the Princess. In general, they make premium catalytic stoves of good quality. These stoves are well documented, but do have a level higher maintenance required. If burning 24/7 as a sole source of heat, expect to be replacing the cat every 2-3 yrs (10,000 to 12,000 hrs of operation). Where they really shine is shoulder season burning.

Thanks again for your help. Lots to consider as usual..
Tax credit for the Blaze King install makes it attractive if you are able to claim it

Reactions: JE NH
I don't know if I'd be able to because I'd be buying it second hand, even though it has never seen a flame. Thanks

I don't know if I'd be able to because I'd be buying it second hand, even though it has never seen a flame. Thanks
This sounds like a dealer dumping pre-2020 stock. (Yes, I know it's illegal, maybe it's the dealer's cousin.) If so, there's no tax credit on that sale. How much for the Princess?

Reactions: JE NH and SpaceBus
This sounds like a dealer dumping pre-2020 stock. (Yes, I know it's illegal, maybe it's the dealer's cousin.) If so, there's no tax credit on that sale. How much for the Princess?
Pre 2020 units are not eligible for tax credit. Also, combustors have a 10 year, 100% warranty.

Pre 2020 units are not eligible for tax credit. Also, combustors have a 10 year, 100% warranty.
That's just for the first one, right and not for replacement(s)?

I thought so. We'll see if it works out. I've had woodstoves all of my life but, I got to tell you, I've learned more about them because of this site and a few store stops in the last week than I had my previous 49 years.

Reactions: BKVP
That's just for the first one, right and not for replacement(s)?
The first one has a 10 Year, 100% No fault warranty. The replacement has a warranty of ? because we don't see them much, I'll check on Monday. It has at least 1 additional year, but I need to check.

The first one has a 10 Year, 100% No fault warranty. The replacement has a warranty of ? because we don't see them much, I'll check on Monday. It has at least 1 additional year, but I need to check.
Is that warrantee transferable if I end up buying it second hand from the original owner? I don't believe they're a dealer. Thanks

Let me expand or define "2020". The rule came on March 16, 2015. When it was published a deadline of May 15, 2020 was set. And although many stoves were tested and certified after the March 16, 2015 date, EPA modified the test methods. So on every single wood and pellet heater there is to be a label stating the stove is 2020 approved. If it says it meets EPA 2015 emissions requirements, it was to have been sold on or before May 15, 2020. EPA moved all units not meeting the above requirements to a "List of previously certified model", on their site.

Let me expand or define "2020". The rule came on March 16, 2015. When it was published a deadline of May 15, 2020 was set. And although many stoves were tested and certified after the March 16, 2015 date, EPA modified the test methods. So on every single wood and pellet heater there is to be a label stating the stove is 2020 approved. If it says it meets EPA 2015 emissions requirements, it was to have been sold on or before May 15, 2020. EPA moved all units not meeting the above requirements to a "List of previously certified model", on their site.
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know how that worked.

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know how that worked.
Some contacted me and suggested I expand with a better explanation. Thank you to that person!

I ended up passing on the blaze king.. two of them looked banged up like they had fallen over or something.. blaze kings sound amazing though. Thanks for your help. I'm leaning towards a drolet or pacific energy again unless I find something else soon.