Used Saws New to Me - What Maintenance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyLane

Feb 16, 2013
North Central Ohio
Picked up a couple of used saws a few weekends back and would like to baseline them. I have good mechanical skills but never dug into the world of chainsaws.

What would you experienced wrench turners recommend for going through each saw and cleaning/tuning? Air filter, spark plug, general cleaning, and what else?

The saws are a Husky 372XP and Stihl 192T.
IMG_1351.JPGIMG_1350.JPG

Reactions: Thistle and smokinj
Picked up a couple of used saws a few weekends back and would like to baseline them. I have good mechanical skills but never dug into the world of chainsaws.

What would you experienced wrench turners recommend for going through each saw and cleaning/tuning? Air filter, spark plug, general cleaning, and what else?

The saws are a Husky 372XP and Stihl 192T.
View attachment 94404View attachment 94405
What more does a man need? heck, you could build an entire house (and heat it too) with those two saws right there!!

Check and clean filters after every use, I'd replace the fuel filters on both of them, not to mention maybe the fuel/impulse lines with Tygon tubing (available on the net or at local saw shops), blow them out with a compressor from time to time. Dress the bars every now and again (flip the bar every time you cut or every other time you cut).......

I have a 372XP, got a target on a MS192T AND a 020T as we speak........may pull the trigger on both of them..

To second what Scotty, said, I would prob replace air filters, spark plugs, oil filters, and re-tune to my ear (plus everything that Scotty said!!)

The 372 is a mean machine and is a great saw! Take care of it, and it will take care of you :)

Need any help, give a shout!

Reactions: ScotO
I would dump the old gas and check the gas and oil tank filters, check the plugs and replace them if needed, replace the air filters if needed, and re-adjust the carbs to make sure they are not running too lean. I would also pull the bars and true them, and check that the oil feed lines are not plugged up. Also pull the brake/clutch drums and clean out under them and grease the clutch bearing, and check the sprockets and replace the rims or spurs if they are well worn. Also pull the muffler screens and clean them. Then sharpen the chains and go to town on some wood.

+1 with the above
I'd add , check/replace the drive sprockets

Make sure they still have serviceble chain catchers. Noticed on a couple of my Junkers that the catchers were gone or just about wore through.

What more does a man need? heck, you could build an entire house (and heat it too) with those two saws right there!!

Check and clean filters after every use, I'd replace the fuel filters on both of them, not to mention maybe the fuel/impulse lines with Tygon tubing (available on the net or at local saw shops), blow them out with a compressor from time to time. Dress the bars every now and again (flip the bar every time you cut or every other time you cut).......

I have a 372XP, got a target on a MS192T AND a 020T as we speak........may pull the trigger on both of them..

Did you pull the trigger yet? You know you want and need that 192. Plus, you could post a "used saw maintenance tutorial" here and I could follow along!

Regarding the fuel/impulse lines - can someone explain the impulse line to me? What's it do, where does it run (from what to what)? Also, browsed ebay last night and saw a number of different options for Tygon tubing. Is there a standard diameter for chainsaws? Each brand different?

I live in Wooster....if it's not to far from you, bring the saws over and we can look them over and tune 'em if needed.

Steel - thank you for the offer. I'm less than 45 minutes from Woo-town. I'm going to work away at the simple things and hope to build my knowledge on the more complex. If I get in over my head I'll head your way. I need to try the pizza place in Wooster that a few coworkers/friends have mentioned, can't think of the name right now.

Different saws have different sized lines.....pretty sure you want the 3/16", wouldn't hurt to get a chunk of 1/4" as well.
The impulse line comes from the crankcase and it utilizes the vacuum created in the crankcase for working the diaphragm fuel pump in the carburetor.....if that line gets loose, the saw will not perform right.

Just a good insurance policy to replace the impulse and fuel lines from time to time. Get a couple feet (3 or 4') of each size I mentioned and you'll be good for years to come......that Tygon is some good stuff!

Steel - thank you for the offer. I'm less than 45 minutes from Woo-town. I'm going to work away at the simple things and hope to build my knowledge on the more complex. If I get in over my head I'll head your way. I need to try the pizza place in Wooster that a few coworkers/friends have mentioned, can't think of the name right now.

That'd be the Coccia House....... nothing quite like it.

That'd be the Coccia House....... nothing quite like it.

Coccia House - that's the place. Had I remembered the name I wouldn't have been able to spell it correctly!

Thanks to all for the information and Scotty for the explanation of the impulse line. I hope to start this weekend on cleaning and going over the 192 but all depends on how a couple other commitments play out. I'll post more if I run into any concerns/questions.

Found a couple youtube videos last night that were also helpful for my learning in case anyone else is in the same boat just starting their journey.

Reactions: ScotO
Posting an update and looking for more help.

I didn't get very far into dismantling my 192 last weekend as I decided to drop a couple more trees and spend my time running the saw versus working on it. This was my second weekend running it and I still have a problem. It starts fine. However, once running and warmed up, I have to feather the throttle to get it to full throttle. If I don't it will bog down and even stall. Also, after coming down from full throttle (after cutting) it will sometimes idle briefly and then stall out.

Where should I begin?

Try a 1/4 turn out on the carburetor L screw adjustment.

Sounds like the carb could use a good cleaning but I'd start with adjusting it. If it doesn't respond to adjusting then cleaning the carb may be your answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.