Used stove, new liner meeting the tax credit requirements?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k3c4forlife

Oct 30, 2009
I'm not sure if this has been asked... I am looking to buy a used Regency I2100 off craigslist. The price seems to be pretty good ($500) on the stove, slightly used. The stove qualifies for the tax return, but it's used, I cant claim it on the tax return. I need to buy a liner kit and a block off plate. Since those items are new and being used to install a qualifying stove, can I claim those items for the 30% off on my taxes?

Thanks,
Kevin

This has come up before with no total resolution though I believe most feel that the language of the tax rebate should accept both new and used stoves as long as there is no question that the stove qualifies. You should get receipts for everything concerned (including the stove with make model and serial number) and then get the EPA qualification certificate from the manufacturer. Some manufacturers even let you download the certificate from their websites, I am not sure that Regency does. If the folks you bought the stove from have any of their original paperwork that might help too. But I think you ought to be able to submit for the whole enchilada, just document everything.

Just checked and Regency does put theirs online, listing the qualifying stoves
http://www.regency-fire.com/RegencyFireplaces/files/97/97178eda-fb25-489a-923e-dc26390ccd42.pdf

Someone posted a section of the code a while back that stated something like "the original use must commence with the purchaser". Read that way, it would seem to include only new purchases, unless you're buying a "used" stove that's really never been "used". Of course our silly laws are often very vague and open to interpretation - otherwise there would be no need for the Judicial Branch.

The Regency I2400 is on the list. Ill have to see what I can do.

I just dont want to end up in front of the judicial court...

Well, if you decide not to try for the tax refund, you are still getting a far better deal than even that regardless... a great quality, safe and environmentally sound stove at something like 1/4 the price beats the tax refund anytime!

Status
Not open for further replies.