Used stove prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mrmojo182

Oct 18, 2009
East
I'm all for getting a used stove, but the prices here in Mass are crazy. First as an annoyance, no one ever posts the age of the stove on the postings. Second, people want some crazy money for used old stoves. I've seen Harman stoves from 2001 listed for over 2000, and if I make an offer or a reasonable amount of say 1500 for a used accentra insert, they act like I'm trying to screw them. Am I just way off in what used stoves should cost? I know now isn't the time to be looking, but it's like this all year. And to add insult to injury, they don't have reliable service or maintenance records, so for all I know the stove could be mint or have a million mechanical time bombs waiting to. Thoughts on the subject?

Used Harman over 2k...yea probably. Some of the for sale postings are ridiculous for sure. Critical info is rarely given. Almost sounds like you’re looking for someone to talk you into a used stove.
Unless I know the history/owner of the stove, i would plan to spend some time/money on repair and maintenance. You have to decide for yourself how much you value your time. Many folks want a pellet stove to be “plug and play” and in my experience..that ain’t the way it is. They all have a personality....each install, location, hardware, will cause the stove to act a little different.....and they all require tinkering. My opinion?? If I don’t know the previous owner....or its a REALLY great deal....I’d buy new. Ex: I once bought a p38 for $500. Was installed in a house a guy just bought...he just wanted the stove moved out. Good luck in your search.

I find the prices of used pellet stoves here in Nova Scotia vary widely but are generally reasonable. A lot of people here are installing heat pumps and getting rid of their stoves which may be helping to keep prices down. I paid $1500 for a 7 year old Accentra insert a few years ago. Currently there is an Accentra FS on Kejiji for $1000 but the ad doesn’t give the age.

I'm all for getting a used stove, but the prices here in Mass are crazy. First as an annoyance, no one ever posts the age of the stove on the postings. Second, people want some crazy money for used old stoves. I've seen Harman stoves from 2001 listed for over 2000, and if I make an offer or a reasonable amount of say 1500 for a used accentra insert, they act like I'm trying to screw them. Am I just way off in what used stoves should cost? I know now isn't the time to be looking, but it's like this all year. And to add insult to injury, they don't have reliable service or maintenance records, so for all I know the stove could be mint or have a million mechanical time bombs waiting to. Thoughts on the subject?
I check out the used Harmans posted in Mass daily. Nobody will budge on their prices. Hoping the sumer will be a better time to get a deal to replace my quad contour.

solsticepelletstoves.com

This company is in Brookline, NH and sometimes sells used stoves they have gone through and rehabbed. I believe if you buy a stove from the company and agree to have them do the annual cleaning, they offer some type of warranty. I have only used them for cleaning but a friend did buy a stove there and is very satisfied.

Thanks all, mostly was venting. I won't buy a used one unless I can get a reasonable deal or one rebuilt from a dealer. I would rather buy a used stove and replace everything on it. I enjoy the projects, and it's fun for me. But not a 16 year old stove for 2300 plus.

Ask what service has been done and what parts have been replaced. And ask to see receipts. Around here people want to sell them when they start seeing problems.

Oh yeah upstate NY all 10-15 year old stoves were made of (insert sarcasm) gold and diamond studded fasteners. Craigslist is full of of them

Reactions: Peterfield
I think it's the insert feature that is bringing up the cost for you, especially locally. Coal Man in Hyannis was selling an old P61 for $1500 as is and it was dirty and needed paint but it worked they said. Their used stoves are in the basement FWIW. I bought my new P61A in Pocasset going on 5 years ago but stay away otherwise.

Reactions: mrmojo182
I think it's the insert feature that is bringing up the cost for you, especially locally. Coal Man in Hyannis was selling an old P61 for $1500 as is and it was dirty and needed paint but it worked they said. Their used stoves are in the basement FWIW. I bought my new P61A in Pocasset going on 5 years ago but stay away otherwise.

It's funny you say that, I heard the same thing from two other people. I have not heard of Coal Man, I'll check them out. I'll keep looking.

It's funny you say that, I heard the same thing from two other people. I have not heard of Coal Man, I'll check them out. I'll keep looking.
Oh my mistake my age sneaks up on me, Coal Man was in Sagamore but long gone now. I meant The Iron House in Hyannis, sorry getting old here !

Reactions: mrmojo182