Using a wedge!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
Was cutting a felled tree the other day. It was down on a hill and had a larger branch underneath it basically holding the base of the tree up. Started cutting and as I was going through the top started closing up on the chainsaw bar and basically got stuck. How would I use a wedge to avoid this from happening again?

I use a wedge when cutting large trunks if there is any question on pinching. Cut until there is room to put the wedge in the top. Done.

I make a few wooden wedges from a 2x4. No worries if they get lost or chewed up from blade.
Some thing cut as far down as possible then drive wedge in top with a branch. Good to go!

infinitymike said:
I make a few wooden wedges from a 2x4. No worries if they get lost or chewed up from blade.
Some thing cut as far down as possible then drive wedge in top with a branch. Good to go!

That is what i thought I would do but wasn't sure. Of course that day i forgot the wedges and the saw got stuck twice. Didn't even think about making a wedge out of a piece of wood while i was there.

RORY12553 said:
infinitymike said:

That is what i thought I would do but wasn't sure. Of course that day i forgot the wedges and the saw got stuck twice. Didn't even think about making a wedge out of a piece of wood while i was there.

Meant to say "Same thing" not "some thing"

RORY12553 said:
Was cutting a felled tree the other day. It was down on a hill and had a larger branch underneath it basically holding the base of the tree up. Started cutting and as I was going through the top started closing up on the chainsaw bar and basically got stuck. How would I use a wedge to avoid this from happening again?

I wouldn't.

I would try to make about 5 cuts about 1/4" apart and 1/4 the thickness of the branch. Do this on the top, then the bottom, then the top. As the branch falls the pinch will be spread across the five cuts instead of one.

When that doesn't work, I pull out a second saw. :)
When that doesn't work I have my dad pull out his saw or go dig the little used electric out of the garage. :):)

It shouldn't take more than two saws to cut out the first.

Done!

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 345
Whenever I'm cutting I have 2 wedges in back pockets at all times. Rarely have to use them,but they're there just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.