Using Old Crosscut Saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
I have an old 40" crosscut saw, champion tooth. I had it sharpened and tried out on a 38" inch across oak log. I was there 4 hours sawing and sawing and sawing, and barely got half way through. My shoulders are sore. I was determined not to leave until I got it, but it wore me out, that's hard work! I had the saw sent off and professionally sharpened. It is a Warranted Superior brand, flat ground, champion tooth saw. I am not familiar with these tools. I have seen pics online of waste noodles from these saws, not sure of the tooth pattern. My saw creates a fine sawdust. I will go back in a few days, after recovery to try and finish off the cut. Is it the sharpening method or the tooth pattern, should it take all day to cut through a big log? This was an Ebay item, I don't know it's history. The teeth are longer than they are wide, don't appear to over filed. Wondering if this is the difference between paying sharpening services of $5 a foot or $40 an hour shop time. I did chip the bark, so that is not an issue. Of course I expect hand sawing a 3 foot log to be hard work, but 4 hours, and not finishing? Wondering how long it should take with a good saw. You can see the handle of the saw in the log, on the other side, just a bit of the saw is sticking out, about the height as the red lights.

Attachments

• Optimized-saw (1).jpg
    Optimized-saw (1).jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 348
  • Optimized-log.jpg
    Optimized-log.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 346
I have never used a single crosscut but they used to make us use double crosscuts when fighting fire in wilderness areas. No way that should take 4 hours. They are a lot of work but once you get a rhythm down a chainsaw ain't a whole lot faster (but a heck of a lot easier).

Used a (two man ) crosscut when we were kids.
Cutting firewood from logs. Moved right along, otherwise it wouldn't have been fun work.
Too much or too little teeth set ?
Hard to tell, but looks a bit short for that size log, the worst affect would probably be the saw getting warm and binding.
( reread, 40" is kinda short for a 38" log - that's not much of a stroke )
I remember good sized sawdust chips but not "curls".
I also remember a good long swing on the saw between the two of us working best.

I'm thinking of getting one .

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I agree, the saw is too short. You can't get inot a rhythm when the saw is only moving a few inches. How does the saw cut on smaller logs?

As other have said saw is at least a foot short for your cut. With only a 2 " stroke you never clear the chips from the gullets of the saw, so it is going to bind a bit plus the pile of chips in the gullets keeps it from biting in. The saw should be cutting about an 1/8 kerf if set correctly ( could be a bit less not much though)

Reactions: ScotO
That saw would tear the chit out of 20" logs all day long......lie the others have said you need long strokes to make the cut AND clear the chips put of the kerf.

Reactions: Thistle and Danno77
40" log you need a 7ft 2 man saw,minimum.No mine's not for sale either,sorry ;)

Difficult work for sure. I took a sledge and wedge to it, split off what I had cut. I worked it from both sides and cut a lot more than I thought. Small chunk left was easily sawed through. This big hog of as log wins for now, until I find a longer saw.

Attachments

• Optimized-logf.jpg
    Optimized-logf.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 242
  • Optimized-IMG_20130126_160827.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_20130126_160827.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 229
Reactions: ScotO
Used a two man (or should I say "boy and man") crosscut saw a couple of times with my Dad when I was about 10. Enjoyed the experience, but I expect I was not doing much of the work.

A crosscut saw doesn't need to be twice the length of the log unless two people are sawing with it. A one-man saw can be pulled back through the kerf to clear chips. This (sharp) 39" saw cut through a 26" red oak --half the volume of your log--in about 40 minutes.

P1000907.JPG

When using that short of a saw on that size log, you will not cut with the saw level all the way through. Cut some and then roll the log and cut some more. Roll the log again and again so you get some decent strokes. Having the saw professionally filed will pay good dividends and you will definitely notice the difference. In time you will learn to sharpen the saw but because this was probably not used for the last 60 or so years, it will pay you to have it done at least the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.