USSC 8500 Pellet Furnace Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jabbers

Oct 15, 2008
NE OHIO
I've had a pellet stove since 2007 and a wood stove since 1998. Last year I installed a new ussc 8500 furnace. I like to work on these stoves and figure them out but there are several issues I could use some help on. My furnace comes out with a 10inch horizontal to a clean out T to 58 inches straight up all 4 inches. This terminates into 16 foot, 8 inch round insulated pipe that runs through the center of my house.

1 My pellets fly out of the burn chamber. I think the pellets hit my agitator and fly out. I've installed the burn pot both ways and they still fly out. If the pellets stayed in the burn pot I would have more heat. I guess I can make some guards.

2. I've figured out the pounds per hour weighed it countless time on high and low heat setting made adjustments but it always changes. I've cleaned it but it always moves.

3. I have a 896sqf ranch with newer windows insulation and a few doors that leak some. I burn 2 bags of pellets a day on heat range 2. When I run the pellet furnace it's not super toasty in my house either.

4 I don't get good heat out of registers with a nice straight run. I can feel air coming out of registers but have to crank it up to get heat. I've tried running it on manual but it has to much draft.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've had a pellet stove since 2007 and a wood stove since 1998. Last year I installed a new ussc 8500 furnace. I like to work on these stoves and figure them out but there are several issues I could use some help on. My furnace comes out with a 10inch horizontal to a clean out T to 58 inches straight up all 4 inches. This terminates into 16 foot, 8 inch round insulated pipe that runs through the center of my house.

1 My pellets fly out of the burn chamber. I think the pellets hit my agitator and fly out. I've installed the burn pot both ways and they still fly out. If the pellets stayed in the burn pot I would have more heat. I guess I can make some guards.

2. I've figured out the pounds per hour weighed it countless time on high and low heat setting made adjustments but it always changes. I've cleaned it but it always moves.

3. I have a 896sqf ranch with newer windows insulation and a few doors that leak some. I burn 2 bags of pellets a day on heat range 2. When I run the pellet furnace it's not super toasty in my house either.

4 I don't get good heat out of registers with a nice straight run. I can feel air coming out of registers but have to crank it up to get heat. I've tried running it on manual but it has to much draft.

There are some good videos on YouTube on getting the most heat from the 8500. Land Air Mechanical, I think. He also sells on eBay a stainless stirrer and a shield that goes around the burn pot to keep pellets in. Both work great.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

There are some good videos on YouTube on getting the most heat from the 8500. Land Air Mechanical, I think. He also sells on eBay a stainless stirrer and a shield that goes around the burn pot to keep pellets in. Both work great.

Yes I've watched videos at least a dozen times and took note. My stove is not reacting like his. I looked on eBay before and couldn't find it, I'll have to look again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Do you have an OAK hooked up?

#2 you say you’ve figured out the pph but they change from what you change them to. Is that correct? If so when changing the pph on high and low are you pushing the ON button after making the changes?

What pph do you have it set for on high and low?

Also what are your draft setting hig and low? You may have to much air coming through blowing the pellets out along with a lot of the hot air out the exhaust.

So how does the burn look like, blasting torch or something else?

Do you have an OAK hooked up?

#2 you say you’ve figured out the pph but they change from what you change them to. Is that correct? If so when changing the pph on high and low are you pushing the ON button after making the changes?

What pph do you have it set for on high and low?

Also what are your draft setting hig and low? You may have to much air coming through blowing the pellets out along with a lot of the hot air out the exhaust.

So how does the burn look like, blasting torch or something else?
No OAK hooked up.

My low draft is 80 my high draft is 145

The only 2 changes I thought about making is a OAK and to run 4 inch vent all the way up cause I believe I have an over draft.

I adjusted my c-8 so my pounds per hour matched my setting. I run 2 lbs on low and 4.3 on high but I know my c-8 doesn't match that now.

No OAK hooked up.

My low draft is 80 my high draft is 145

The only 2 changes I thought about making is a OAK and to run 4 inch vent all the way up cause I believe I have an over draft.

I adjusted my c-8 so my pounds per hour matched my setting. I run 2 lbs on low and 4.3 on high but I know my c-8 doesn't match that now.

Are you pushing ON button after making changes?

Is your c5 setting too fast and the pellets being pushed out by the agitator before they get burning good?

Are you pushing ON button after making changes?

Is your c5 setting too fast and the pellets being pushed out by the agitator before they get burning good?
I'm pushing the on button cause that's like a enter button. I haven't messed with c-5 but have used the aux button that controls the agitator and have slowed it down. I did notice some difference but the burn pot started to build up so I turned it back to auto. I never really have an overflow of pellets in the burn pot.

I'm pushing the on button cause that's like a enter button. I haven't messed with c-5 but have used the aux button that controls the agitator and have slowed it down. I did notice some difference but the burn pot started to build up so I turned it back to auto. I never really have an overflow of pellets in the burn pot.

Ok, I just wanted to make sure you were pushing the on button for the reason you stated.

Have you called USSC? The settings shouldn’t keep changing unless you change them.

Yes I've watched videos at least a dozen times and took note. My stove is not reacting like his. I looked on eBay before and couldn't find it, I'll have to look again.

I had to message him and he sent me a link.

Ok, I just wanted to make sure you were pushing the on button for the reason you stated.

Have you called USSC? The settings shouldn’t keep changing unless you change them.
I have not called dreading that poor customer service. My numbers aren't changing but my feed rates per hour keep changing after I have set and tested them.

I had to message him and he sent me a link.

How is your stove running? My stove doesn't run or set up like his.
How many bag/day are you going through?

How is your stove running? My stove doesn't run or set up like his.
How many bag/day are you going through?
It's my mother in law's. A little fussy to set up, but runs well now. She uses a bag a day in warm weather to three a day if it's super cold.

It's my mother in law's. A little fussy to set up, but runs well now. She uses a bag a day in warm weather to three a day if it's super cold.

Approximately 1500 sq ft with a full basement.

What does your fire look like? Dumping into that 8 inch is a big problem with no liner. How many CFM is the convection fan? We recently installed a Breckwell that is a little higher end than the one you have and it has a 1600 CFM blower.

My fire burns good but I'm burning 2 bags of pellets a day on heat setting 2 and the air coming out of vents is cold even when I slow down the draft some. I feel with my size of house this stove should run me out at 2 bags a day. I guess I'll try and call customer service. I wonder with a liner it would burn better.

My fire burns good but I'm burning 2 bags of pellets a day on heat setting 2 and the air coming out of vents is cold even when I slow down the draft some. I feel with my size of house this stove should run me out at 2 bags a day. I guess I'll try and call customer service. I wonder with a liner it would burn better.

I don’t see it burning good with the chimney set up. Is the flame really active or slow?

My flame is active it has to much draft if I pull it out to 11/4 inch like land air mechanical on you tube recommends.