utility trailer thread?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Also gear down so you barely need the brakes in the first place.
Yep. You can go up as fast as you want, it's the other side that you need to worry about. Good gearing and understanding how to shift is a good thing. I've never been in a hurry to get to the top, and I'm sure not in a hurry to get down.

I have a 1200 GVWR, no brakes. It doesn't get used much, but when you need it you need it. After 25 years I did some maintenance, new tires and greased the wheel bearings.

I have a 1200 GVWR, no brakes. It doesn't get used much, but when you need it you need it. After 25 years I did some maintenance, new tires and greased the wheel bearings.
I give each of mine one pump each year. For boat trailers, it’s at end of season, hoping the fresh shot of grease will expel any water remaining in the hub. For utility trailers, it’s not as religious, but I don’t think I’ve ever left a hub more than two years, on any trailer.

If you count every greased trailer or wagon hub I own, right down to the blower buggy and wheelbarrow, it’s only 17 hubs and perhaps as many minutes if work, per year.

My tandem car hauler hasn't had the bearings touched since i rebuilt it when i got it 20+ years ago.
I know cars and 2wd pickups that went 100,000 miles and over without front wheel bearing ever being done.All on factory grease.
Hubs run cool on the trailer even when over loaded. Thats the first thing i check when pulling a trailer drive 20 miles and check the temp of the hubs.I check the hub temps every time i stop,a lesson i learned driving Semi Trucks.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson