V.C. Everburn users results, comments

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

defiant3

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2010
No. NH
Just had a long talk with a dude at V.C. regarding the reliability and performance of Everburn Encores and Defiants. I'm hoping there are some members here who'd be willing to chime in with their results, especially those who've had them in service for more than a few years. How much wood do you burn? What problems have you had?

Reactions: upick
I'm curious what the dude at VC had to say about the topic. I'm guessing it was something along the lines of: we've got all the bugs worked out and upgraded the parts...?

I fought with the evenburn design stove few years back. It threw tons of heat, majority of it coming from the backside of the unit, while it was glowing red!!

That design should have never been sold to the public! It looked good in the summer though!

I fought with the evenburn design stove few years back. It threw tons of heat, majority of it coming from the backside of the unit, while it was glowing red!!

That design should have never been sold to the public! It looked good in the summer though!
If they would have abandoned the rear combustion design and copied the non-cat top load that quadra-fire has, they would still be a major player. The rear combustion design is plagued with problems, always has been for anyone who tried it. Even if it worked for a while, the expense for maintenance was just too high. I would never ever spend that kind of money to keep a stove running! It's just crazy!

Reactions: bholler
Thanks for the link, I really am specifically interested in the Flex Burn Defiants which have been available only the last 8 years or so if I understand correctly. I'm more than familiar with issues relating to the Defiant and Encore N.C.'s, but the newest incarnation is the Flex Burn which looks like the 2 in 1 system. Has anyone had any success with these?

Thanks for the link, I really am specifically interested in the Flex Burn Defiants which have been available only the last 8 years or so if I understand correctly. I'm more than familiar with issues relating to the Defiant and Encore N.C.'s, but the newest incarnation is the Flex Burn which looks like the 2 in 1 system. Has anyone had any success with these?
I have not burnt one but have worked on several. The combustion system seems more durable than before but the performance problems still seem to be there. Untill they get away from the down draft aspect of their designs they will not have a reliable performing system

Reactions: webby3650
Regarding the cat performance of the 2in1, I haven't seen much feedback on how these stoves perform compared to other cats and cat-hybrids. But the non-cat technology of this stove -- the downdraft design -- is intrinsically less efficient and less reliable than standard non-cat technology. By requiring higher firebox temps for both initial and sustained secondary combustion, this mode requires higher flue temps and thus more heat loss (= more wood used).

I would be curious to know if the stoves are efficient and reliable when run in cat-only mode, and if they are capable of the more efficient low-burn modes of other cat models that allow for less wood use and lower heat output over longer extended burn times.

Beautiful stoves but they don't have the greatest reputation from a servicing standpoint. They can be quite fussy about draft and the refractory package longevity is not great.

There are some folks that have them here. Have you read through this thread?
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/2016-2017-vc-owners-thread.156768/
I understand the servicing issues as well as the burn chamber problems. I have had an everburn Dutchwest for 7 years. I have been dealing with their distributor in downstate NY as well as the Kentucky main offices. No results yet, just smiley voices and promises. More to follow.

And it may be a while from the sound of things; main office is now in MN.
It is my understanding that Vermont Castings was acquired by Monessen Industries from Paris, Kentucky in 2013. I have spoken with Daniel from their warranty and customer service department there. He directed me to their distributor in Hudson, NY

It is my understanding that Vermont Castings was acquired by Monessen Industries from Paris, Kentucky in 2013. I have spoken with Daniel from their warranty and customer service department there. He directed me to their distributor in Hudson, NY
No they are part of hearth and home who also own quadrafire harman and many others.

No they are part of hearth and home who also own quadrafire harman and many others.
That's right, monessen was the sell out time before last!;lol They've sold so many times it's hard to keep up.

That's right, monessen was the sell out time before last!;lol They've sold so many times it's hard to keep up.
Ok i didnt know about that one. I honestly dont care who owns them they have a long way to go to regain the trust the company has lost

True that. Which is why I'm interested. The latest version of the Defiant, also the new Encore and soon to be Intrepid IV as well as the new Dauntless which is to replace the Acclaim, all use the same cast refractory instead of the soft fiberous material as in the fountain assembly. It has a lifetime warranty (where have we heard that before) and of course there's the catalytic element which you cn have in there or not. So unlike the past owners, these guys are re-engineering the line pretty completely, and I just wonder if it's gonna work based on what we've seen so far.

True that. Which is why I'm interested. The latest version of the Defiant, also the new Encore and soon to be Intrepid IV as well as the new Dauntless which is to replace the Acclaim, all use the same cast refractory instead of the soft fiberous material as in the fountain assembly. It has a lifetime warranty (where have we heard that before) and of course there's the catalytic element which you cn have in there or not. So unlike the past owners, these guys are re-engineering the line pretty completely, and I just wonder if it's gonna work based on what we've seen so far.
Hearth an home the current owner has not changed their designs at all. Like i said from what i have seen they do hold up much better. But honestly at the temps they should be running at that cast wont hold up forever. And i have still seen pretty dirty chimneys and pretty frustrated customers. Yes they need rengeneered completly. And they need to trash the whole down draft idea

Is it possible to retain the top loader with out a down draft setup?

Is it possible to retain the top loader with out a down draft setup?
Yes. Quadrafire has done the best with it in my opinion. Jotul has a top loader, it's not as useful as the quad.
I think they are a prettier stove than VC too.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 106
Yes. Quadrafire has done the best with it in my opinion. Jotul has a top loader, it's not as useful as the quad.
I think they are a prettier stove than VC too.
The quad is a non cat though right?

The quad is a non cat though right?
Yes, that's why it works so well. It doesn't use a downdraft combustion system like other toploaders. Instead, the entire baffle rotates out of the way. It has a handle that operates it just like a bypass.

Yes, that's why it works so well. It doesn't use a downdraft combustion system like other toploaders. Instead, the entire baffle rotates out of the way. It has a handle that operates it just like a bypass.
What kind of burn times are you experiencing? I like the ability to low and go with my encore. If packed with a nice hardwood such as oak or ash I can reload on coals after 16 hours. 10-12 hours is closer to an average though.

What kind of burn times are you experiencing? I like the ability to low and go with my encore. If packed with a nice hardwood such as oak or ash I can reload on coals after 16 hours. 10-12 hours is closer to an average though.
10-12 hours is about what I get if I get it loaded right and shut down soon enough. It does not really do slow though. It burns pretty hot like most non-cats. It does it very cleanly though, I've seen some really dirty chimneys from VC cats that are trying to run slow. They run slow, but dirty sometimes. How does your flue flue look after a season?

10-12 hours is about what I get if I get it loaded right and shut down soon enough. It does not really do slow though. It burns pretty hot like most non-cats. It does it very cleanly though, I've seen some really dirty chimneys from VC cats that are trying to run slow. They run slow, but dirty sometimes. How does your flue flue look after a season?
I clean twice a season. My current set is an 8" single wall that is 13' tall so I feel like it gets pretty dirty due to a short stack and an aged refractory and a damper gasket in need of replacing.

I clean twice a season. My current set is an 8" single wall that is 13' tall so I feel like it gets pretty dirty due to a short stack and an aged refractory and a damper gasket in need of replacing.
Yeah you dont have that dirt with the quad of all of the parys to replace