V.C. Everburn users results, comments

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yeah you dont have that dirt with the quad of all of the parys to replace
The quad is a great looking stove. I wish you could cruise them at 400* though.

I will be in the market for a new stove in a few years. I have been eying the quad the PE and the ashford.

Another nice top or front loader is the Jotul F50 Rangeley.

Another nice top or front loader is the Jotul F50 Rangeley.
Ya, have you seen one personally? It's a pretty awkward design, you've got the lid, then the inner door which hangs so low it's really hard to get very much wood in it. There's no way you could get more than 2 pieces in it without opening the front door and shoving the wood back. I like the idea of it, but I think it's lacking on the usability side.

I have seen it on the showroom floor but haven't used one. Although I had a nice VC toploader many years ago and loved it, I would probably load the F50 north/south through the front door. The top load grille on the stove seems to be a popular option but I wonder about that too, not liking grease splatters on a painted stove.

Sorry about the distraction from the original post. It would be nice to hear from more real world experiences with the newer models. I love my two VC burners however I'm not going to dump a ton of money into them.

I understand the servicing issues as well as the burn chamber problems. I have had an everburn Dutchwest for 7 years. I have been dealing with their distributor in downstate NY as well as the Kentucky main offices. No results yet, just smiley voices and promises. More to follow.

We have had surprisingly excellent results with our warranty dealings with Hearth Home Technologies re our Everburn parts in the Dutchwest 2478. I have had 4 Vermont Castings stoves and will not hesitate to own the fifth in the future.

I have had 4 Vermont Castings stoves and will not hesitate to own the fifth in the future.
But have you used any other modern stoves? In my experience vc owners love their stoves untill they use something just about anything else.

But have you used any other modern stoves? In my experience vc owners love their stoves untill they use something just about anything else.
To be honest, I have tried no other brands since the mid 90's, I have always been happy with their product.

To be honest, I have tried no other brands since the mid 90's, I have always been happy with their product.
I think when it is time to replace your stove you should really do some research into other stoves. There are many many stoves out there that are easier to use burn cleaner take allot less maintenance and are just plain better engineered stoves. I am not trying to pick on you or anything just telling you what I see working on stoves every day.

I think when it is time to replace your stove you should really do some research into other stoves. There are many many stoves out there that are easier to use burn cleaner take allot less maintenance and are just plain better engineered stoves. I am not trying to pick on you or anything just telling you what I see working on stoves every day.
I couldn't agree more. After working on, and owning VC's, I'd strongly encourage you to look at other brands in the future. I've got a few of my family members burning encores, only because they were free. But as you know, "free" comes with a price too!

Reactions: chance04
I have the encore 2in1 flexburn and have been very happy with it. That being said I won't get another one. There just seems to be so many other superior designs compared to the down draft. I've replaced the catalyst twice under warranty in 5 years and it needs to be replaced again and I think it will only be a 50% discount this time or possibly less. I don't burn wet wood. The stove is too easy to overfire on my setup due to a 26 foot chimney (heating from the basement) and believe heat damage is the main cause for my cat failures.

That being said the newer refractory material seems to be far superior to previous designs as it still is holding up exceptionally well after 5 years and I have only replaced the main gaskets twice (toploader, doors, bypass). We reload the 2.1cuft firebox every 8-10 hours and it heats our entire house well enough from the basement except overnight when the upstairs furthest bedroom doors are closed (which at night we just turn on the electric baseboard in those rooms as they are the kids rooms).

Anyway, pretty stove, has its quirks, I didn't do enough research in 2011 and just thought VC was the best stove out there based on my previous experience growing up. But I was wrong.

A new cat every few years is inexpensive in the long run and I won't mind running this stove another 5 years so long as it keeps burning the same and does not have any major catastrophic malfunctions. 10 years for a 2300$ stove is not bad so long as that is how long it lasts.

Reactions: FrankPyro