Vacuum wire off on 25-PDVC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommy24a

Dec 12, 2010
PA
Took the back off my 25-PDVC 2003 stove this weekend to do a good cleaning (replace gaskets). I noticed that one wire was not connected. I traced the wire to the vacuum switch on the lower right hand side of the stove. In looking at the wire diagram I do believe it goes to the control board. What effect did/does this have if that was not hooked up? Thanks for any help that you can provide.

tommy24a said:
Took the back off my 25-PDVC 2003 stove this weekend to do a good cleaning (replace gaskets). I noticed that one wire was not connected. I traced the wire to the vacuum switch on the lower right hand side of the stove. In looking at the wire diagram I do believe it goes to the control board. What effect did/does this have if that was not hooked up? Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Depends on the rest of the wiring, you best check it to the diagram in the manual.

If the stove was used it is possible that someone jumped out some safeties at the control board. This would not be a Good Thing {tm}.

This is the wire diagram for my stove. The red arrow points to the wire that was not connected on one end. Red arrow points to the wire that is off.

Attachments

• wire.jpg
    wire.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 4,457
That's a pretty picture but you should make certain that there is no jumper at the control board where the wires from that switch go.

With a jumper at the control board the stove would think everything was fine and not toss you a vacuum error code.

Oh, would it be possible that in the process of opening things up you caused that wire to come off?

It really should be connected.

I dont think when removing the back that I caused it to come off. I see where it goes on the control board and there are no jumpers. How does this wire being off affect the operation of the stove? Thanks!

Since it looks like it goes to the combustion blower....that should be hooked up......theoretically, if the combustion motor goes it should shutdown the stove...if that is not working, the stove can keep feeding pellets and the smoke doesn't get exhausted. If I were you, I would give Englander a call just to double check things.....I actually wonder how your stove is functioning without the wire hooked up

Thanks all for the comments/suggestions. Good question about how it worked with wire off....would it have worked? I really dont think I pulled it off when taking off back. Unless the connector on the wire was that loose that it vibrated off.

If that wire was off how it would work depends upon what the control board is looking for to indicate a loss of vacuum.

Normally the combustion blower would cause the switch to close.

Thus in this case the stove would not see the switch closed and it would toss a vacuum error and shut down, when it would see it that way depends upon the control board.

Usually they want to see evidence of proper pressure before they even light up but I can't say that is the case with all controllers.

ETA: It is also possible that the controller wants to see no switch closed in which case it would fire up and run with the switch off.

I would recommend shutting the stove off, unplugging it, and re-attaching the vacuum switch wire on the control board. It is part of the safety system, and is there for a reason.

As long as the stove operates normally after starting it back up, I'm guessing the vacuum switch on that model is a N.O. (normally open) type. A call to Englander could confirm this.

Status
Not open for further replies.