VC 2040 Cat C operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Frosty29

Jun 28, 2022
Long Island
I’m a new owner of this stove and I’m learning the nuances of its operation. First thing I’m not dealing with the most seasoned wood, it seems to be on either side of 20% with my moisture meter when I split it.

When I operate it with the flue open and let it get hot my glass clears up. I operate it at around 500-550 degrees F. When I put it in Catalytic mode my glass gets all creosoted up. In general I can still see the flame but not like it was with the flue open. I’m guessing this is a function of using not fully seasoned wood?

First main question. If you want to make a with fire to warm up your house do you just operate it with the flue open? I know some of you have probes sticking out everywhere. What is the bare minimum needed to operate the stove. I have a Midwest magnetic thermometer on the griddle.

I had one cold night where I filled it up with wood, closed the damper and let it chew on its load through the night. It actually worked great and my house was still warm in the morning. My glass was black though. I looked at the chimney outside and there was no smoke that was visible so the cat was doing its job

I love the stove and it fits perfectly in my house with the decor and the top loading feature is great.

I live on a 1/4 acre lot so I don’t have endless amounts of room to store wood for seasoning. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Billy

Maybe the cat is not active. When the bypass is closed and the fire dies down, is there smoke coming out of the chimney? A catalytic thermometer will provide its status.

When you close the bypass are you leaving that air all the way open and your saying that the glass is getting discolored.. or are you turning the air down some and its getting discolored..

are you sure the cat is actively engaged.. do you have the bimetal probe or did you install the aftermarket auber at 100

First main question. If you want to make a with fire to warm up your house do you just operate it with the flue open? I know some of you have probes sticking out everywhere. What is the bare minimum needed to operate the stove. I have a Midwest magnetic thermometer on the griddle.
I've run my Encore like it's an old style stove with the damper open, works just fine. It will use more wood and build creosote but it will heat good.

I've run my Encore like it's an old style stove with the damper open, works just fine. It will use more wood and build creosote but it will heat good.

Your running the stove based on heat needs.. sometimes.. not verry often Ill run the stove with out closing the bypass.. just a fire to take the chill off. Most times I runt the stove with the cat engaged because 1.. its a cleaner burn 2.. its more efficient 3.. Im burning longer periods When the stoves set up and the cats engaged with the air turned back you can walk away and let the stove do its thing.. with the bypass open, there a better chance of an Overfire.. My stove doesn't have probes evey where.. I have 1 probe in the back that you cant see and 2 magnetic thermometers on the stove. 1 on the griddle 1 on the stovepipe.. If your running the stove for a short time and not closing the bypass you just need the griddle thermometer, if your running the stove with the bypass closed you need all 3 because you want to monitor the cat and make sure it lights off and you want the stovepipe thermometer because you want to make sure the stovepipe is warm.. My suggestion is run the stove with the cat.. A.. it runs better and as designed B.. it will keep the amount of creosote down in the stovepipe C.. your efficient will be higher. D.. its easier to get a longer more even burn.. E.. the heat out of the stove will be more even..