VC airflow, normal or not???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bert670

Mar 19, 2021
Hudson Valley, NY
Anyone have any similar situations with the newer VC’s? My Dauntless is loaded for the night, but the cat seems to be really taking off and causing a abnormal airflow, almost like it’s sucking air in. I have my bypass closed and the air control is 1 or 2 clicks from fully closed off. Usually in this setting the stove is just smoldering, and the cat gauge is at about the mid section. Right now the cat gauge is maxed out. The oddest part is the stove top temp is below average for the amount of air flow that seems to be going on inside the firebox.

How new is the stove? New cats tend to run hot for the first several fires.

It was installed end of last season, but unbeknown to me until cleaning this spring, the cat was laying on the bottom of the chamber where it was supposed to be standing horizontal, so I don’t think it got used much last year.

As a current VC user that tends to happen when a large amount of wood is banked up against the combuster. Just FYI closing the air intake all the way does not 100% shut all the air going into the stove. VC in they're infinite wisdom adjust the air take so completely at the minus setting there is still a gap to let some air in supposedly to prevent any draft stall at low settings. They may also have a bypass inlet that opens up to pull air in bypassing the combuster and on up the flue when the primary is closed down for the same reason. The Intrepid has this setup, not sure about the Dauntless though but the Dauntless looks to be just a little bigger Intrepid maybe.

Reactions: arnermd
It was installed end of last season, but unbeknown to me until cleaning this spring, the cat was laying on the bottom of the chamber where it was supposed to be standing horizontal, so I don’t think it got used much last year.
Getting that right should make a notable improvement, assuming that the cat is still working. Is the cat gasket still intact?

VC cats have no gaskets. They just set inside the combuster albeit loosely. Flue gas can get by the cat somewhat with no problem. Seems to defeat the purpose of it though.

For those who have peeked inside the cylindrical tube and witnessed the square flap that opens and closes when the primary air control lever is moved rearward and foreword on the VC Dauntless, what was the size of the opening or gap when the primary air lever was fully opened? Mine was approx. 1/8"

What I have observed on my Dauntless is that if I put splits close to the downdraft vents the whooshing sound starts as soon as I close the bypass and lower the temp/air control. Found that keeping the added splits away from the vents stops this 97% of the time. I just make sure I have enough coals at the back of the stove but not enough to cover the small holes at the downdraft vent.

I don't have a catalyst installed. But, stove still operates the same.

What I have observed on my Dauntless is that if I put splits close to the downdraft vents the whooshing sound starts as soon as I close the bypass and lower the temp/air control. Found that keeping the added splits away from the vents stops this 97% of the time. I just make sure I have enough coals at the back of the stove but not enough to cover the small holes at the downdraft vent.

Which are the downdraft vents?

Below the removable plate that covers access to the catalytic combustor. A series of small vents or holes that allow gases to downdraft into the combustor chamber.

Look at you go...

Reactions: a59cheffy
I
For those who have peeked inside the cylindrical tube and witnessed the square flap that opens and closes when the primary air control lever is moved rearward and foreword on the VC Dauntless, what was the size of the opening or gap when the primary air lever was fully opened? Mine was approx. 1/8"
I just read this. That's not right. Maybe you are peeking when it is hot. Cold mine opens all the way.

are you saying an operator should rake coals to the rear of a VC? or do you try to distribute the coals evenly in more of a bed than a pile?

are you saying an operator should rake coals to the rear of a VC? or do you try to distribute the coals evenly in more of a bed than a pile?

If your trying to light off your catalyst your going to need some coals back there for sure. Your question .. the answers will vary depending on what your doing.. of your stoves cold you will need a definite coal pile in the back.. if your doing a hot reload.. say cat temperatures are already 800 or so.. youll probably do nothing... if your setting in for an overnight burn and the cats lit off and your turning the air all the way back, youll want to have a decent pile in the back and some up front to catch the wood thats forward towards the anirons

Reactions: Echo Parking Lot
I keep the coals and splits more centered in the chamber as much as possible. Basically just make sure the vent holes to the combustor chamber are not blocked in any way.

Reactions: Echo Parking Lot
Air control lever question. Figured keeping air control on Dauntless in one thread is helpful.

Manual shows open at 8 o’clock and closed at 4pm or so. But mine will rotate 360 degrees with no stop. Ttought I’d ask. I have only used a few times but past breakin and this control does have control but wide open seems to still shutdown fire no matter the coal base when closing bypass damper.

Last edited: