VC Encore 0028 Secondary

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Excavator

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2011
Central NJ
Today it was 62 degrees and I let the stove go out so I could readjust the secondary flapper coil to see if I could get better control of the over firing. Two weeks ago I adjusted it from 4 o clock to 5 o clock position and it made things worse when the griddle temp was creeping past 650 and cat probe would sneak into 1800 !!!
Today I adjusted it to 3 o clock position which had the flapper open 1/2 inch cold but it worked much better once griddle hit 500. I could close damper slow and cat probe went to 1250 and I was able to control secondary much better. The flapper closed all the way when cat probe hit 1300 and never reopened like it would at 4 o clock position
I will keep an eye on it for few days

The secondary is adjustable on your stove???

I replaced the upper and lower fireback and refractor laast month after buying the whole kit including new coil.
When I installed the new coil at 4 o clock position I noticed a lock nut on each side of the coil. Last week I pulled the coil back out after having trouble controlling the secondary burns. When I put it at 5 o clock position the flapper would slowly close but after the stove got over 550 the flapper would open as the coil kept going to the 8 o clock position. When that happens the stove just over fires and sounds like it will run away.
Today I adjusted to 3 o clock position and sure enough the flapper never opened once it closed. The coil stopped at 7 0 clock

Status
Not open for further replies.