VC Encore 1450 Mistake? Need advice!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoke to the guy with the heatolator. It's an arrow 14
Can't find it on Heatilators website. He siad it may be 15 years old.

The Encore has about a 2 cu ft firebox? This can't be that much smaller. I would take it over the Encore at $350, due to futures costs and drawbacks of the Encore downdraft system (very unforgiving of wet wood, and prone to overfiring damage on the type of scrap wood you are discussing -- though that is a danger with any stove, so best to mix with larger splits).
The Encore is equivalent to the Jotul Oslo in terms of firebox size and heat output.

As a former Downdraft stove owner and currently repair and/or condemn VC neverburns pretty often, I would say to sell it now. It will be a real mess in a short time if you use it and will be next to impossible to sell. Save yourself the frustration and off load it! A small steel stove will outperform that thing anyday! If you were closer I could fix you up with something I'm sure. :(

As a former Downdraft stove owner and currently repair and/or condemn VC neverburns pretty often, I would say to sell it now. It will be a real mess in a short time if you use it and will be next to impossible to sell. Save yourself the frustration and off load it! A small steel stove will outperform that thing anyday! If you were closer I could fix you up with something I'm sure. :(
That's the only part I disagree with. He will need a 2.5 cu ft stove to match the stove output if that is what he needs.

I wasn't really comparing stove sizes I guess, just the Everburns capability or lack there of. I think a smaller steel stove will comparable to the Non-cat Encore due to it's issues.

I wasn't really comparing stove sizes I guess, just the Everburns capability or lack there of. I think a smaller steel stove will comparable to the Non-cat Encore due to it's issues.
I just don't want OP to be a small stove thinking it will produce as much heat as the Encore and then be disappointed. He already made one mistake. I don't want to see him make another.

Sounds like a 2 cu ft stove will heat the 875 sq ft area well enough. Good luck with the call. Make sure they haven't trashed the baffle when you look at the stove. If they have time to dicker on the price.

I just don't want OP to be a small stove thinking it will produce as much heat as the Encore and then be disappointed. He already made one mistake. I don't want to see him make another.

A smaller stove might actually produce more effective heat than this Encore if the Encore's secondary combustion is subpar, due to damaged combustion package, poor draft, poor wood, etc.

We are talking about the actual heat from this stove in this set-up, not the theoretical output of a new Encore burning good wood with good draft.

I believe Wausau has a separate Listing for CL, Also check like Greenbay, LaCrosse, EauClaire ect as there is a fair amount of overlap. another point is if you type in wood stove on the first page left hand side about the middle it will cover quite a range and back track quite a few weeks. Oh and welcome to WI and Hearth com.

I want to offer a word of warning regarding your wood source. In your original post you mentioned having access to some wood scraps from a supplier. That can make fine firewood, but it must be used correctly. You also mentioned multiple people being responsible for loading/burning the stove. With this arrangement it's not unusual for one or more of the people burning a stove to not be too knowledgeable about stove operations. Be sure everyone understands that when you burn smaller wood scraps the burn fast and put off a lot of quick heat. You don't want someone loading up the firebox with scraps, opening the air wide open, starting a fire, and then just letting her rip! That's a recipe for over firing and possibly a chimney fire if your flue has a creosote build up. It's much better to mix the scraps sparingly with your larger splits for safe burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.