VC encore 2040 cat damper control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

leop

Jan 30, 2019
gulfport ms
when the cat damper is closed should any flames be going up towards the damper. I do not see any opening for venting if the damper is closed. I have checked the gasket and do not see any problems. Anyone with a 2040 please comment on how yours works. all venting with the damper closed should get through the cat only as I understand how it is suppose to work

With
when the cat damper is closed should any flames be going up towards the damper. I do not see any opening for venting if the damper is closed. I have checked the gasket and do not see any problems. Anyone with a 2040 please comment on how yours works. all venting with the damper closed should get through the cat only as I understand how it is suppose to work

Primary air fully open? If yes, then I also see flames licking the top of the stove. As I close primary the flames take a bit of a horizontal aim toward the cat. At 75% primary air closed I see no flame just a cat burn. With damper closed of course.

Hope this helps plus a bump.

With Primary air fully open? If yes, then I also see flames licking the top of the stove. As I close primary the flames take a bit of a horizontal aim toward the cat. At 75% primary air closed I see no flame just a cat burn. With damper closed of course.

Hope this helps plus a bump.
thaks for the quick reply......my stove since new (1 year) has had and problem with control....I found last week the .gasket by the cat damper was not cemented in place........they came and cemented the gasket, with cat damper closed I still get flames licking the cat damper but less. With primary air fully closed almost no flames. Thermometer on top wholes 500-600 pretty good. Had and old 2550 before and no problems,,,,,,2040 is a totally different animal. let know any other views.............may want a whole new gasket.........hard to determine without experience on a 2040.....gonna try this evening and see if my stove matches your..... any more comments appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
With a smaller amount of wood i see the flames going towards the fireback and the air half way down.. if the wood is stacked up half way or higher the flames still go towards the griddle, even with the air half way down. So the air may not go to the fireback all the time.

there are a lot of threads about the 2040, and the VC thread. You shouldn't see any flames if you engage the cat and shut down the primary air all the way.

With a smaller amount of wood i see the flames going towards the fireback and the air half way down.. if the wood is stacked up half way or higher the flames still go towards the griddle, even with the air half way down. So the air may not go to the fireback all the time.
thanks for the reply

On mine the flames will still lap around the damper but that is the draft pattern of the stove with the cat engaged. All exhaust goes through the cat with the damper closed.

On mine the flames will still lap around the damper but that is the draft pattern of the stove with the cat engaged. All exhaust goes through the cat with the damper closed.
thanks for the quick reply............I don't understand how the flames lap the damper if there is no exhaust exit there...........studying the problem.......seems to be working better since they fixed the cat damper gasket problem. I am now able to control the stove temperature....500-600 ....anyone else has comments on the VC 2040...please chime in