VC Intrepid II Damper Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeemer

Dec 16, 2005
Hi! Trying to find model-specific troubleshooting info for a stove is not easy, so I'm hoping for some feedback.

I have a Vermont Castings Intrepid II (catalytic), about 6 yrs old. Works great, but I am having a damper problem. I can close the damper with no problem, but the "d-plate" that the bar hits against to open and close keeps coming loose, so the bar misses the re-opening piece if I need to add wood. It gets pretty exciting as I open the doors an poke it open with the fireplace-poker so it vents! :bug:

Do I need a new damper? New plate? A call to VC?

Thanks!

That d plate is held by a 7/`6 nut but also an allen set screw, Have you checked the set screw for tightness?

I had the unpleasant experience of pulling the stove out and taking out the damper/plate. What a pain to get it back in again!

The allen set-screw doesn't reach the D-plate even all the way screwed in. I tightened down the regular screw, which fixed the problem fine through about a dozen openings/closings, but now it's acting up again. I have checked to make sure it's loose again, but it's the same symptom, so I assume it is. The plate flops sideways so that the bar doesn't hit the bottom pin on the way down and the damper stays shut.

Have you tried a lock washer behind the nut? Is the damper plate warped or connecting rod bent?

It doesn't seem as though anything is bent, the screw just keeps coming loose. A lock washer is probably a good thing to try next.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.