VC Resolute II question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

55Trucker

Jan 13, 2022
Maine
Hi all. Referencing the Woodman's website it appears my Resolute is a Resolute II (drop down door, 4 bolts on the flue collar). My door does not have glass, but a metal filler where glass would go instead. The Woodman's parts list suggests that there was also a version of this door with glass. Does anyone know if the metal filler on my door can be converted to glass, and how I would go about doing that?

Hi all. Referencing the Woodman's website it appears my Resolute is a Resolute II (drop down door, 4 bolts on the flue collar). My door does not have glass, but a metal filler where glass would go instead. The Woodman's parts list suggests that there was also a version of this door with glass. Does anyone know if the metal filler on my door can be converted to glass, and how I would go about doing that?
you have two ways take the metal plates to a glass shop and ask for piro ceramic glass cut the same// or order from Vermont castings

Thank you for the reply. I don't think my question was clear enough. I did find a couple of posts after my original post on this, but there were no answers. I have pictures that will hopefully explain this better.

The Resolute II apparently came in two models, one with glass and one without. I have the one with the blank plate (without glass), and Woodman's shows a schematic with glass.

Now for a few pics, and a few questions I need help with at the end of this post.

I found the next couple of pictures in this forum in another thread. Someone was rebuilding the same stove. That door has glass. Note that the glass is in two pieces, and the joint is where the blue tape is:
1711021300159.png

1711021387688.png

This is my door, with the blank plate installed:

1711021492330.png

So my question is, how do I replace my blank metal plate with glass?

Woodman's has the following parts for the glass door version of this door. Please refer to #48 and #49 below.
1711021696001.png

#48 (the glass) looks like this. Two pieces would be needed.
1711021779135.png

#49 is this frame, which seems to be the replacement for my blank plate:
1711021974660.png

I actually bought this piece of glass before I did more research. The description said it was for a single door Resolute. I did not work because the door is curved outward and the glass isn't.
1711022130138.png

Now for my questions:

1) If I bought glass frame #49 and glass #48 (and glass clips), is that all I need to convert the door to glass? Has anyone done this?
2) How are the two pieces of glass sealed where they meet?
3) Is that glass frame curved on one side to compensate for the curve/bulge in the door, and flat on the inner side to be able to mount the single piece of glass I have (the last pic above)?

Thank you!

Thank you for the reply. I don't think my question was clear enough. I did find a couple of posts after my original post on this, but there were no answers. I have pictures that will hopefully explain this better.

The Resolute II apparently came in two models, one with glass and one without. I have the one with the blank plate (without glass), and Woodman's shows a schematic with glass.

Now for a few pics, and a few questions I need help with at the end of this post.

I found the next couple of pictures in this forum in another thread. Someone was rebuilding the same stove. That door has glass. Note that the glass is in two pieces, and the joint is where the blue tape is:
View attachment 325990
View attachment 325991

This is my door, with the blank plate installed:

View attachment 325992

So my question is, how do I replace my blank metal plate with glass?

Woodman's has the following parts for the glass door version of this door. Please refer to #48 and #49 below.
View attachment 325993
#48 (the glass) looks like this. Two pieces would be needed.
View attachment 325994
#49 is this frame, which seems to be the replacement for my blank plate:
View attachment 325995

I actually bought this piece of glass before I did more research. The description said it was for a single door Resolute. I did not work because the door is curved outward and the glass isn't.
View attachment 325996
Now for my questions:

1) If I bought glass frame #49 and glass #48 (and glass clips), is that all I need to convert the door to glass? Has anyone done this?
2) How are the two pieces of glass sealed where they meet?
3) Is that glass frame curved on one side to compensate for the curve/bulge in the door, and flat on the inner side to be able to mount the single piece of glass I have (the last pic above)?

Thank you!

you ewopuld unbolt the metal filler. sometimes the bolts are frozen and snap. that's is a problem. you need the glass pieces, proper casketing, and the cast retaining bracket. not sure that's available new anymore.

Yes, that is what I did. Woodmanpartsplus.com sells the metal frame. Pricey, but forged as the original. They also have the glass, clips, and gaskets. Now I can see the fire :)