Vent Pipe inside a framed chaise... Can I run the 3 inch pipe inside a 6in pipe thats already there?

AC_150 Posted By AC_150, Mar 3, 2019 at 7:53 PM

Dismiss Notice
System Upgrade. Monday 9/16 7am central time.Thanks for your patience.
  1. AC_150

AC_150
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2019
    Loc:
    MD
    First post on the site so take it easy on me :)

I'm replacing my Lennox Propane Fireplace with a Quadra Fire Castile. The vent pipe from the propane fireplace is a 6 inch exhaust pipe and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on just running the 3in vent pipe for the pellet insert inside the 6 inch pipe. This is a wood framed chimney chaise.

Looking for some guidance and thoughts on this. Thanks!

2. mikkeeh

mikkeeh
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2011
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Can’t see any problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    don't see why that wouldn't be fine. maybe adapt new pellet vent to your 6" existing with an adapter.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Pete Zahria likes this.
  4. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Like Ssyko said why not adapt to the 6 inch ?

Pete Zahria likes this.
  5. AC_150

AC_150
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2019
    Loc:
    MD
    Would I need to do anything additional or just get a 3 to 6 transition adapter and there should be no other issue in terms of required clearances?

6. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Just make sure the 6 in. is clean

7. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    Careful guys, we're not talking about a 6" class A flue for solid fuel but maybe a b-vent.

railfanron and bob bare like this.
  8. AC_150

AC_150
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2019
    Loc:
    MD
    What should I check to make sure the pipe is appropriately rated? I haven’t pulled the propane stove out yet but once I do I will verify that it’s the right quality and grade for safety. It vents through the roof, not sure if it’s single or double walled.

9. mikkeeh

mikkeeh
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2011
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    If it was venting a propane heater, it’s probably a “b” vent....in which case it’s not appropriate for venting pellet appliances. You could however, run pellet vent inside it.

lowcostheat likes this.
  10. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    Even then, I would worry about maintaining minumum clearance to combustibles. Bvent can be pretty close to combustibles and if the pellet vent is laying against the bvent.

bob bare likes this.
  11. AC_150

AC_150
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2019
    Loc:
    MD
  12. jerrieric

jerrieric
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Windham Me
    Why not just put through the vent free in pellets through your 6 in? Seems like the 6-inch would just be like installing a thimble

johneh likes this.
  13. fmsm

fmsm
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2011
    Loc:
    South of Boston MA
    Call your local inspector, if the pipe is not rated for pellet fuel and there is an issue in the future you could be SOL with your insurance company. Also, what is your EVL? You may need 4 inch. Are you doing outside air? All in all your best bet may be to pull a pipe in that can do both while removing the original.

14. railfanron

railfanron
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 2, 2013
    Loc:
    Perry MI
    There's no way that's a class a chimney and using it for a pellet stove could be a disaster. I would look into pulling the smaller pipe out of the 6 inch and then running an insulated class a flex chimney up the inside. This should solve any clearance issues.
    Ron

15. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    I would vent it into the class A chimney using a 6 to 3 or 4
    adapter that is if it is a class A chimney . my pipe goes from a 4 to 6
    into a class A chimney and I have used it for 18 years with out a
    problem

Ssyko likes this.