Vent Pipe inside a framed chaise... Can I run the 3 inch pipe inside a 6in pipe thats already there?

AC_150

Mar 3, 2019
MD
First post on the site so take it easy on me :)

I'm replacing my Lennox Propane Fireplace with a Quadra Fire Castile. The vent pipe from the propane fireplace is a 6 inch exhaust pipe and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on just running the 3in vent pipe for the pellet insert inside the 6 inch pipe. This is a wood framed chimney chaise.

Looking for some guidance and thoughts on this. Thanks!

AC_150

Mar 3, 2019
MD
Would I need to do anything additional or just get a 3 to 6 transition adapter and there should be no other issue in terms of required clearances?

AC_150

Mar 3, 2019
MD
What should I check to make sure the pipe is appropriately rated? I haven’t pulled the propane stove out yet but once I do I will verify that it’s the right quality and grade for safety. It vents through the roof, not sure if it’s single or double walled.

mikkeeh

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2011
NE Ohio
If it was venting a propane heater, it’s probably a “b” vent....in which case it’s not appropriate for venting pellet appliances. You could however, run pellet vent inside it.

Reactions: lowcostheat

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
If it was venting a propane heater, it’s probably a “b” vent....in which case it’s not appropriate for venting pellet appliances. You could however, run pellet vent inside it.
Even then, I would worry about maintaining minumum clearance to combustibles. Bvent can be pretty close to combustibles and if the pellet vent is laying against the bvent.

Reactions: bob bare

fmsm

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
South of Boston MA
Call your local inspector, if the pipe is not rated for pellet fuel and there is an issue in the future you could be SOL with your insurance company. Also, what is your EVL? You may need 4 inch. Are you doing outside air? All in all your best bet may be to pull a pipe in that can do both while removing the original.

railfanron

Feeling the Heat
Nov 2, 2013
Perry MI
There's no way that's a class a chimney and using it for a pellet stove could be a disaster. I would look into pulling the smaller pipe out of the 6 inch and then running an insulated class a flex chimney up the inside. This should solve any clearance issues.
Ron

johneh

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2009
Eastern Ontario
I would vent it into the class A chimney using a 6 to 3 or 4
adapter that is if it is a class A chimney . my pipe goes from a 4 to 6
into a class A chimney and I have used it for 18 years with out a
problem

Reactions: Ssyko