Vent question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhall299

Oct 15, 2008
South Jersey
Hi,

I have a masonry chimney where I placed my stove. The chimney use to be used for a furnace and is tile lined. Is it okay for me to use pellet vet up to that chimney inlet which is about 6 foot above the floor and just vent into the chimney? I would have to use a 6inch to pellet vent adapter to connect to the existing chimney.

Jon

You need to have your chimney inspected, cleaned if neccesary and lined with pellet vent flex pipe. Lots of money.

I'm curious why. What is so different about a pellet stove that it can't vent in a conventional chinmey?

Jon

Check your local code and go from there.

There are stove manufacturers that say to use a flex or solid pipe to get you past the smoke shelf. Yes a lot of things can be done but not recommended.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.