Venting wood stove into existing masonry chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh?? We don't cut, split or stack anything. Again as par deal w/wood processors to selective cut our land it's done for us for free right into wood rooms next to our stoves.
So you get all of your wood cut split dried then moved into wood rooms for you for free????

And AGAIN from what I'm reading on other forums it's NOT just "every 5 -10 years", some folks new 2020 models under heavy use even following all the guidelines are replacing them in some cases1-3 years.
Replacing what every 1-3 years in stoves that have only been out at most 2 burning seasons?

We are calling out your unsafe practices hopefully to get you to reconsider your ways. Or atleast to make it clear to anyone else reading this that what you are doing is not a safe way to heat with wood

But you are missing the point that none of your other stoves should be hooked to 12x12 liners either.

You are telling me that you have your garrison install (which is just piped into an old fireplace with a 12x12 liner) inspected every 3 years by a pro and they never said there was a problem with that? The fact that they didn't call out that code violation makes me doubt the rest of their inspection. That pro should be calling out every one of your stoves that is run through a 12x12 as noncompliant and reporting that back to your insurance
Yup the insurance companies inspector must be idiot. I've been in chitload old homes with many chimneys like ours all built by reputable mason on our property fitted with 12X12 flues for both fireplaces and thimbles for wood stoves and apparently all these years no wood stoves ever in existence allowed been hooked to 12 X 12 flues nor were 12X12 flued chimneys were ever legal to construct. Good to know. Sounds like your more interested in giving people chit. Again, thanx for brush tip, I got my answer "NO" can't hook V3 (or apparently any stove manufactured in the history of woodstoves) to a 12 X 12 masonry chimney. Good to know, thanx again, over & out.

Yup the insurance companies inspector must be idiot. I've been in shitload old homes with many chimneys like ours all built by reputable mason on our property fitted with 12X12 flues for both fireplaces and thimbles for wood stoves and apparently all these years no wood stoves ever in existence allowed been hooked to 12 X 12 flues nor were 12X12 flued chimneys were ever legal to construct. Good to know. Sounds like your more interested in giving people chit. Again, thanx for brush tip, I got my answer "NO" can't hook V3 (or apparently any stove manufactured in the history of woodstoves) to a 12 X 12 masonry chimney. Good to know, thanx again, over & out.
12x12 flues are absolutely legal to use if they are sized properly for the appliance hooked to them. The ones you have listed are way to small to be run through a liner that large and that is against code. Are you saying those flues service a fireplace and have a crock for a stove?? That means the inspector clearly isn't doing his job properly. You never answered the question about clearances to combustibles either.

Of course it doesn't "clean" a chimney :/ That's not what I said. Again, we'll purchase rotary brush per advice. Whole point of post was if there was someway hook up a V3 like all our other dinosaurs we love and answer is clearly "no". All we needed to know. Thank you, over & out.

Because our facility has so many wood stoves and chimneys our insurance carrier as part of our coverage requires tri-annual inspections all stoves and chimneys. Last one was about 14 months ago c/o of there inspector everything passed with flying colors. All I was trying find out on this forum was if any way a V3 can be hooked up like rest of our stoves and answer was no so were getting rid of it getting older model. Over & out.
You are twisting your own words. You said, and I copy-paste from your writing:

"We have never had a "chimney fire" let alone "dozens of them" so not sure where that came from :/ Every few years I'd run stove hot controlled burn..."

And

" Come Spring I run all our other stoves hot careful controlled chimney fires burn off any creosote,"

While the latter may pertain to another stove, my remark about decades of problem-free operation not being a guarantee for the next time you do this still holds.

And

" Creosote burns not every year, lot old timers it was common, carefully controlled just hot enough bubble the creosote for sweeping,"

While the latter two may not directly claim you do this for this stove, each and every remark was in response to warnings about dirty chimneys.

I will be "out" here - but I can't let stand that you call me out like you did. Here is my response to that with your own words to demonstrate what I responded to.

Again, please be safe. That's the most important thing.

12x12 flues are absolutely legal to use if they are sized properly for the appliance hooked to them. The ones you have listed are way to small to be run through a liner that large and that is against code. Are you saying those flues service a fireplace and have a crock for a stove?? That means the inspector clearly isn't doing his job properly. You never answered the question about clearances to combustibles either.
I said this particular exterior chimney (of many) that Garrison been hooked to for almost 30 years is an over built 5 foot deep by 8 foot wide constructed on a poured concrete footer/slab 10 feet below grade that extends above highest roof line by over 4 feet with huge 16 inch thick raised brick hearth to accommodate fireplace or a wood stove placed in front of fireplace as to not catch flooring on fire, embers, etc.. All our our current wood stoves all hooked to 12 X 12 flued chimneys operate fine w/annual chimney cleanings. Good to know non compliant nor to code. I'll call the cops. Again, my question was answered "no" cannot hook a V3 to masonry chimney, thanx for everything this conversation is over.

I said this particular exterior chimney (of many) that Garrison been hooked to for almost 30 years is an over built 5 foot deep by 8 foot wide constructed on a poured concrete footer/slab 10 feet below grade that extends above highest roof line by over 4 feet with huge 16 inch thick raised brick hearth to accommodate fireplace or a wood stove placed in front of fireplace as to not catch flooring on fire, embers, etc.. All our our current wood stoves all hooked to 12 X 12 flued chimneys operate fine w/annual chimney cleanings. Good to know non compliant nor to code. I'll call the cops. Again, my question was answered "no" cannot hook a V3 to masonry chimney, thanx for everything this conversation is over.
You can absolutely hook a v3 to a masonry chimney if it is sized properly. And none of That says anything about the required clearances from the outside of the masonry to combustible materials.

In addition if your stoves have been hooked up that long chances are they are grandfathered in as far as code goes. So completely legal. But they should still be called out by the insurance inspector as being unsafe.

The stove manual spells it out clearly, whether it is for the F500 v2 or the newer F500v3. You will find this text with most any modern stove. This is generous. Some only allow 2x the cross-sectional area.

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 7.27.56 PM.png

The cross-sectional area of the flue collar is ~28 sq in. A 12x12 flue is 144 sq in or 5 times the cross-sectional area. It's a no go from the start.

This dude is cracking me up😂. We all know what he’s doing is not “good practice”, let it go people…it’s his house maybe give him a quick prayer he doesn’t burn it down and hurt his family. You all have warned him plenty of times, you can’t force him to change! Some people on here get so butt hurt🙄. How about someone close this debate like they do to others when they actually have “good” questions and people get all defensive and close it.

Sadly in all the years I've been here I've seen variations of this thread.

Original poster comes in and asks a question.

Members realize that the situation is not up to code, unsafe, etc. and mention the fact.

Original poster gets defensive and says a) it was like this for years, b) my good friend a _______ (fill in the blank with long time wood burner, firefighter, woodstove installer, chimney sweep, etc.) says it was OK or c) OK, so you're saying I should fix XYZ. What if instead of doing that I do ABC?

Eventually the thread either ends with . . . a) the thread being closed with administrators saying something to the effect "This thread has run the course. This was unsafe", b) the OP gets upset enough and either leaves the site or stops answering questions or c) on the very rare occasion the OP in the end decides to take action and fix the issue.

Reactions: bholler
The OP already responded to and acknoledged. The rest has been a tangent by an old coot that is stuck in his ways. No need to keep this thread going.

Status
Not open for further replies.