Vermiculite baffle repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Is it possible to glue/cement my vermiculite baffle back together? This has happened to two of them in two seasons. What would you try? I'd like to get more life out of them.

IMG_20161213_180312068.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You might be able to pin it at several locations and then cement it together. If there is an insulation blanket above it the crack may not be of big consequence. Can the baffle be replaced with the C-Cast baffle used in some Drolets and Osburns?

You might be able to pin it at several locations and then cement it together. If there is an insulation blanket above it the crack may not be of big consequence. Can the baffle be replaced with the C-Cast baffle used in some Drolets and Osburns?
I have a wrong sized c-cast one they sent me when I asked. Still need to cut it to size. My model didn't come with the insulation blanket, they phased that out. I'm actually still under warranty for a few more days, could probably get them to send me another new one, but I'm not one to give up on something just because it's showing a little age.

Begreen- I'm gonna try what you suggested with the pins and cement. Any advice regarding what to use for the pins? Also, the cement? I think I have a dowel jig that I can rig up to drill the holes for the pins.

The pins don't need to be strong. Maybe use pieces of straightened out large paper clips for pins and refractory cement?