Vermont Casting Aspen C3 - How hot should it run

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Reactions: Todd and switepine

switepine

Feb 28, 2022
heJinx22
I was thinking about this one overnight. This stove has a thermostatic damper in the rear of the stove. Burying the back of the stove in the tight space of the kiva may cause it to burn incorrectly, due to overheating of the thermostat.
Well I would not say it is “Buried” Aaaand the thing is I am not getting hit burn at all and it definitely is not hot in the inside of kiva. Lots of room there. But…..
If it was running too hot the thermostat would start shutting any damper control?
I am more and more impressed with this little stove and am feeling better about its performance. We go to bed at 9 pm and I stoke it about half way maybe a 3-4” split and a 3-4 inch round and or a 5 inch round and we have a sweet bed of coals in morning and it takes time to get them to ignite new material and flame. I will occasionally use a lighter torch to ignite the smoke for a fresh flame. We are going to have a fireplace place come check it out. Stove is 50% outside of kiva and I can easily hold my hand inside kiva.

image.jpg

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
If it was running too hot the thermostat would start shutting any damper control?
Yes, the thermostat design generally works best in an open space with room air circulating around the stove. It may be closing the air off prematurely due to heat buildup at the back of the kiva.

Reactions: Todd

switepine

Feb 28, 2022
heJinx22
Yes, the thermostat design generally works best in an open space with room air circulating around the stove. It may be closing the air off prematurely due to heat buildup at the back of the kiva.
Seems it is always shut down considering the constant slow burn and belching smoke

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
Suggesting that indeed the thermostat is hotter than the stove likes because the stove can not shed its heat very well back there.

A stove only running low is precisely the symptom of a thermostat tucked in a cavity.

switepine

Feb 28, 2022
heJinx22
Seems it is always shut down considering the constant slow burn and belching smoke
OK sooo local fireplace stove people did the math on my roof and the fact that I have two chimneys right next to each other and here are the parts they suggest with PRICES. I understand the Metal insulated wall pipe but the transition pipe and its cost and where is that supposed to go? On top of my chimney? I am getting very confused by the differences in costs and high costs. Anyone care to weigh in?
Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 2.14.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 2.05.46 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 2.03.12 PM.png

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
IMO If the issue is with the stove thermostat misreading due to being inside of a hot space, then adding more chimney is not the solution. 20ft should be providing a strong enough draft and it's been established that the wood is dry. In this circumstance, I think this is the wrong stove for this location.

Reactions: bholler

EatenByLimestone

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's your altitude? The manual says 16 feet for sea level. I saw you mentioned 20 feet with an elbow. If you're up high and your thermostat is malfunctioning and closing just a bit more than ideal, you could be setting yourself up for issues.

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
I concur with the other opinions. The thermostat inside the firebox is probably getting hot faster than it should, leading it to shut down too much and smolder the fire.