Vermont Casting Aspen C3 - How hot should it run

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My suggestion is get a stove that you control not one that is controlled by a thermostat stuffed back inside a fireplace
About the only stove that woudl fit in there is the Morso 2B Standard IF and only if the legs are removable? However they are out of stock everywhere far as I can see. Nobody makes good narrow stoves anymore everything is wide. `~(

About the only stove that woudl fit in there is the Morso 2B Standard IF and only if the legs are removable? However they are out of stock everywhere far as I can see. Nobody makes good narrow stoves anymore everything is wide. `~(
I am aware which is why I wouldn't suggest putting a stove in the fireplace. Put one Infront of it

And it woudl be less of a problem if it was not that screwy auto damper setup
Yes but a radiant stove stuffed back into masonry box isn't going to heat well even if it is operating properly.

Why? Becasue it woudl be right in our pathway and look really stupid. "She who must be obeyed" would NEVER have it.
Well I am simply trying to help you get a functional setup.

Yes but a radiant stove stuffed back into masonry box isn't going to heat well even if it is operating properly.
Well see this is where you are wrong and I discussed this with you a long time ago. This stove heats up that whole HUGE Mass of adobe that is 6 ft thick and hums along at 70-75 degrees for DAYS. You continually fail to understand heated Mass. This is what adobe does. it holds heat. This fireplace mass is 8 ft in diameter. The large kiva fireplace on the other side of this woodstove "Buried" in the kiva heats this house like crazy if you want to shovel wood into it all day and I got tired of that. I will work this out trust me. I may seem ignorant to many of you but I do not quit and I do figure things out. This is my 3rd Adobe home, first two I remodeled and repaired the adobe in the old fashion way with Lime plaster etc etc.many times. These photos are what I am thinking now. Opening up Kiva space and pulling stove forward about 12 inches or more. running a double elbow ( I know I know) in and up the kiva chimney liner. Actually it may be able to be down with just one 45 angle.I will make this work and it will be done in a attractive fashion.

image_123927839.JPG image_6487327.JPG image_6487327 (1).JPG

Well see this is where you are wrong and I discussed this with you a long time ago. This stove heats up that whole HUGE Mass of adobe that is 6 ft thick and hums along at 70-75 degrees for DAYS. You continually fail to understand heated Mass. This is what adobe does. it holds heat. This fireplace mass is 8 ft in diameter. The large kiva fireplace on the other side of this woodstove "Buried" in the kiva heats this house like crazy if you want to shovel wood into it all day and I got tired of that. I will work this out trust me. I may seem ignorant to many of you but I do not quit and I do figure things out. This is my 3rd Adobe home, first two I remodeled and repaired the adobe in the old fashion way with Lime plaster etc etc.many times. These photos are what I am thinking now. Opening up Kiva space and pulling stove forward about 12 inches or more. running a double elbow ( I know I know) in and up the kiva chimney liner. I will make this work and it will be done in a attractive fashion.

View attachment 304574 View attachment 304575 View attachment 304576
Yes you clearly have a much better understanding of all of the variables involved. That's why your stove is working so well. So you clearly don't need any help have a nice day

One other remark: the fan as recommended earlier will push out the heat into the room (to make the thermostat work better - I like that idea), but it will necessarily decrease the heat input into the adobe mass.

So making this stove work better (with that fan) will result in a much poorer adobe mass heating performance.

You'll end up with a more normal stove operation if the fan makes the system work better.

Also, calling names is not acceptable here.

Edit: the post that referred to has been removed.

Last edited:
Seems like all that can be said or suggested has been done. My first choice for this location would have been a Jotul F602. It has a manual air control up front, but the purchase has been made, so be it. Closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.