Vermont Casting Resolute Acclaim- worth salvaging?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TomS

Jan 26, 2017
Baraboo, WI
I recently acquired an older Vermont Castings wood stove and I'm trying to decide what to do with it. It is a Resolute Acclaim, 0041, WH 12167, date code 1233. It is missing front and rear grates, plus the andirons,. It does not have fire brick, but has the cast iron back pieces. I am not familiar with this unit, is it a "cat" unit, and what is the combustion package? Is it worth spending the money on the combustion package? Thanks!

I have a VM RA 0041 too. Mine has the front and rear gates pulse the andirons but I too do not have the factory arch firebricks nor the combustion package in it. I've been burning in it since December in my 500 SF garage just fine. I installed a damper on my pipe to close her down. If I load her up I get about a 7 hour burn on low. I'm in a similar boat as if I should rebuild her. This is not a catalytic unit

I recently acquired an older Vermont Castings wood stove and I'm trying to decide what to do with it. It is a Resolute Acclaim, 0041, WH 12167, date code 1233. It is missing front and rear grates, plus the andirons,. It does not have fire brick, but has the cast iron back pieces. I am not familiar with this unit, is it a "cat" unit, and what is the combustion package? Is it worth spending the money on the combustion package? Thanks!

I have a VM RA 0041 too. Mine has the front and rear gates pulse the andirons but I too do not have the factory arch firebricks nor the combustion package in it. I've been burning in it since December in my 500 SF garage just fine. I installed a damper on my pipe to close her down. If I load her up I get about a 7 hour burn on low. I'm in a similar boat as if I should rebuild her. This is not a catalytic unit
Have you checked you chimney? Running shut down hard with no working secondary combustion system is a recipe for disaster.

0041's are definitely NOT cost effective to repair. It's a long story, but to update them to be fully functional is a ton of money, and w.o.all that they're just iron boxes with glass. Use them then replace. Sorry.