Vermont Castings Defiant Flexburn Chimney Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Boxer

Aug 30, 2009
SE Ohio
Im looking for input for my Father-in-law on this stove. We got together last night for Dinner and he showed me a brochure for this stove. He’s wanting to replace his older stove with one of these. He knows I just got a catalyst stove so he was asking my opinion. I told him I didn’t know anything about this brand but knew where to ask, so here it goes.

I actually had my eye on this exact stove a few years ago and the same stove shop he’s shopping told me to stay away from it due to the company being sold and no parts support. I still think it’s a beautiful looking stove and maybe that issue has been resolved. They also told him that he could vent this into his existing clay flue tile chimney. They never mentioned a insulated liner. Does this stove not require one?

It will be installed in a finished walk out basement. The chimney goes up through the center of the two story house. They are not looking to heat the whole house just the basement level and what little heat goes up the stairs. I just don’t want them to make the investment on this stove and then have to fight it because it’s not what they thought it would be.

He is not internet savvy but I told him I would post a thread and pass along the information from actual users. I don’t want to get too involved with my opinion because if something doesn’t work out I don’t want the blame. I look forward to any experience or thoughts on this stove. Thanks

I would still stay away they have a long way to go to get to the reliability of most other stoves on the market.

Reactions: rox3406 and Boxer
I can say from personal experience that the stoves run well. I have a number of friends with eather an encore or a defiant flex burn that are super happy. There is an art to running any stove just look at all the threads going on about all the different stoves. You will fined that the VC barand dosent get alot of love but that should not deter you. There are alot of people with these stoves that have no regrets. I do believe that in the past there have been some problems. I do have a friend that owens a stove shop. He sells VC he isnt having any problems getting parts. Any problems you may have.. and this would be with any stove.. is delt with by the dealer.. that being said.. you need to make sure you have good dealer support..

Reactions: Boxer
If your father in law like the looks of the Vermont Castings (as I do) he may wish to check out the Jotuls . . . not quite as fancy looking, but they're known as very solid performing stoves and to my eye are similar in design to the Vermont Castings stoves.

I'm not going to get into the stove debate. VC stoves are arguably some of the best made and best looking cast stoves in America. And they have improved and the company is now owned by one of the biggest in the USA. That said, there are many other choices that are also very good looking stoves. There are handsome cast iron and/or cast iron jacketed stoves from Jotul, Hearthstone, Enviro, PE, Quadrafire, etc.

Regardless of stove choice the flue system must be proper and safe. It must be sized for the stove, it needs to have good integrity and it needs to be drafting properly. Basements frequently are negative pressure zones so before installing:
  • Have the flue cleaned and inspected for safety and integrity
  • Note the flue liner sq area. Make sure it matches the stove requirement.
  • Check draft on a mild 50+º day to see if it is still drafting or reversed. Basement installs can be an issue. An incense stick can be used at the thimble to check
  • Make sure the thimble is proper if going thru a wall and in good shape.

Last edited:
The learning curve is quite long with this stove. When operated correctly, this can be a great heater. I personally would keep looking, there are lots of great stoves out there and very good looking too.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the opinions. I’ll screen shot this and pass it along to him.

What Diabel said. These stoves require a season to get figured out. The Encore is very "sensitive" to size of splits, moisture content of splits, and draft. They have to be just right for it to perform well. Patience is a virtue with these. If your father-in-law has very little of that you may want to keep looking. Kevin

Reactions: Boxer and Diabel