Q&A Vermont Castings Majolica enamel color??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have been talking with an individual who is trying to sell a Vermont Castings fireplace insert that is set up to burn coal. He tells me that it is a Vermont Castings Majolica, style # 1437 in Brown. He believes that it dates to about 1985-86?

Do you have any knowledge of such an insert by Vermont Castings? I suspect that the coal burner is a conversion kit and that it could be removed to restore the insert to wood-burning.

I haven't been able to commit the dollars to buy a new small WinterWarm, and hoped this used unit might be a viable alternative.

Answer:

Yes, this is the old insert style, not a winterwarm, and they did have a coal conversion for it. The coal stuff worked fairly well, but it is not a good wood unit...even with the coal stuff out of it.

Save your money and buy a newer stove or insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.