Vermont Castings Merrimack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We still love ours. Still learning techniques to help run the stove better. No problems or complaints so far, and we've had it in operation since November 2015.

How is everyone here liking (or disliking) their VC Merrimacks; You too "therealdbeau". I'm considering getting one in the next month or two, but am doing my research now. Right now, it is between the Merrimack and a Fireplace Xtraordinair. I've just read so many poor reviews about the VC in the past 10 years that I'm a little reticent on going that route. I'm also wondering if it is more a function of the installer than it is the actual product.

How is everyone here liking (or disliking) their VC Merrimacks; You too "therealdbeau". I'm considering getting one in the next month or two, but am doing my research now. Right now, it is between the Merrimack and a Fireplace Xtraordinair. I've just read so many poor reviews about the VC in the past 10 years that I'm a little reticent on going that route. I'm also wondering if it is more a function of the installer than it is the actual product.
Just now came across your post from a few months ago...

Did you end up with a Merrimack? I'd so, how do you like it?
875a5c8bccdbb3646179210e9c27cbfa.jpg

Just now came across your post from a few months ago...

Did you end up with a Merrimack? I'd so, how do you like it?
Nope. I actually ended up getting the FPX Large Flush insert. Love it. Overnight burn times are not as long as they advertise, but long enough. Tremendous amount of heat put out by this thing. Got our house up to about 80F while it was 25F outside; This was with the insert alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. I actually ended up getting the FPX Large Flush insert. Love it. Overnight burn times are not as long as they advertise, but long enough. Tremendous amount of heat put out by this thing. Got our house up to about 80F while it was 25F outside; This was with the insert alone.
I may have gone with that one too if my dealer was offering it at the time I got mine. Looks great.

I'm surprised that it advertises the same burn times as the Merrimack when the Large Flush Insert is a catalytic stove while the Merrimack is just you regular old secondary reburn style.

The large flush is a hybrid. It has secondary burn tubes and a catalyst.