Vermont Castings Old Intrepid 1302 - firebrick replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

valcour

Sep 26, 2012
Hi,

I just acquired an old VC Intrepid, model 1302. This is the pre-1988 non-cat model. The stove is I great shape, but I think it needs the firebricks replaced. There are currently two bricks in the stove, mounted vertically below the upper fireback. The manual I have shows three bricks total, with one located horizontally below, but it's not clear if that diagram is for the intrepid ( the manual is for multiple stoves).

Any 1302 owners out there that can offer insight and brick location?

Thanks,

Val

You've got the right diagram, don't worry. Is there something wrong w/the brix? Why replace them? Well, to do that you must remove the upper fireback, held by 2 special bolt things w/ acorn nuts on the back of the stove, then the wrole thing comes out and bingo, there's your brix!

If the one most visible is cracked, just swap it w/ the one lying down which will be in good shape.

I installed firebricks on the sides also?

Attachments

• rps20170923_231124.jpg
    rps20170923_231124.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,355