Vermont Castings Recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idomeneus

Sep 15, 2011
Upstate NY
Hi all, putting a stove in my old home to use occasionally, especially on fringe months and when brutally cold. I would like a Vermont castings stove and every older model seems to be available. I don't need anything huge and it is going to vent through an existing lined chimney. I have seen an original intrepid that has just been cleaned and painted for $400. I would like to have a fire view, ether glass or open burn with a screen, and either top or side feed. Other than that I am pretty open. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

The glass on the original VC models didn't stay very clean. Not sure what size is best for your heating. It depends on the sq ftg and how open the floorplan is. If this is mostly for chill chasing or the area is not too large, a good starter stove are the original Resolute. If the area is large then look at the Vigilant or Defiant. Or consider getting a more efficient, good looking modern cast iron stove.

Regardless of choice be sure your wood supply is fully seasoned for the best results.

Status
Not open for further replies.