Vermont Castings Short Legs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Campcook

Nov 8, 2017
New Hampshire
Hi, I've just purchased a used Vermont Castings Encore 2550 to go into a masonry fireplace connected to an insulated liner and a T at the bottom. Oval collar has been replaced with round. On install, I realized the liner is about 2 inches too long for the T to fit correctly into the back of the stove. I tried to push the liner up into the chimney more to get the T into the stove but it doesn't want to go - either stuck in the chimney throat or just won't compress anymore.

Rather than cut the liner, I want to swap out the 7" inch legs for a shorter ones. I looked but couldn't find any for that stove and Vermont Castings costumer service says they don't make short legs for the encore.

Does anyone know if short legs from a different model would fit on the encore?

If you don’t have an enamel stove, you can cut the existing legs. Enamel paint will chip & won’t look very nice…The legs are cast iron & are fairly soft. If you are not confident enough to attempt it, take the to a machine shop. I’ve done this a couple of times over the years with Jotul stoves.

If you don’t have an enamel stove, you can cut the existing legs. Enamel paint will chip & won’t look very nice…The legs are cast iron & are fairly soft. If you are not confident enough to attempt it, take the to a machine shop. I’ve done this a couple of times over the years with Jotul
How do you cut them and how do you avoid sharp edges?

I'd rather switch them out than cut them because the fireplace the stove sits in is 250 years old and I don't want to damage the brick

Hold my beer. 😂