Vermont Castings Vigilant 1 (1980) conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jobu75

Sep 10, 2021
Manchester, CT
Hello. New here.

I just bought a house and the wood stove was a big selling point. Upon inspection, I discovered that this stove is set up in the coal-burning configuration. The previous owners had been burning wood in it it would appear, but I've been doing a lot of research and it doesn't appear to be the most efficient thing in the world burning wood. I don't want to burn coal, so I'm wondering...if I took out the ashpan, front grill, the movable bottom grates, and the fire bricks on the side, would that make this stove more efficient for burning wood? A rep from VC sent me a manual detailing how to convert it back to wood burning, but it would appear one of the previous owners made some mods and the parts do not appear to match up entirely. Plus, the job looks like a real bear. The grates, ashpan and side firebricks make the firebox on this thing really small. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, as I'm looking forward to a nice cozy winter with my stove. Photos below.

IMG_3056.jpg IMG_3057.jpg IMG_3060.jpg IMG_3061.jpg IMG_3062.jpg

It will help a little but the wood burning Vigilant had a secondary combustion system which is necessary for the most efficient burn in the stove. And the air routing is different for wood vs coal so the best results will be from making the full conversion.

Note that the hearth needs a 16" non-combustible extension in front of the stove.

It will help a little but the wood burning Vigilant had a secondary combustion system which is necessary for the most efficient burn in the stove. And the air routing is different for wood vs coal so the best results will be from making the full conversion.

Note that the hearth needs a 16" non-combustible extension in front of the stove.
Grand. I think I’m gonna have to take this thing apart to assess the situation. It looks like the previous owners might have a frankensteined hybrid version setup here. About that hearth extension…that’s a major bummer.

The raised hearth helps. A basic hearth extension can be added. It doesn't need to be fancy. Something like this will suffice.

Hello. New here.

I just bought a house and the wood stove was a big selling point. Upon inspection, I discovered that this stove is set up in the coal-burning configuration. The previous owners had been burning wood in it it would appear, but I've been doing a lot of research and it doesn't appear to be the most efficient thing in the world burning wood. I don't want to burn coal, so I'm wondering...if I took out the ashpan, front grill, the movable bottom grates, and the fire bricks on the side, would that make this stove more efficient for burning wood? A rep from VC sent me a manual detailing how to convert it back to wood burning, but it would appear one of the previous owners made some mods and the parts do not appear to match up entirely. Plus, the job looks like a real bear. The grates, ashpan and side firebricks make the firebox on this thing really small. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, as I'm looking forward to a nice cozy winter with my stove. Photos below.

View attachment 281795 View attachment 281796 View attachment 281797 View attachment 281798 View attachment 281799
Would you mind forwarding on those instructions on how to convert back to wood?
I find myself in a similar situation

Could I get a copy of that PDF by any chance? Need to remove my coal conversion now too.