Vermont entrepreneur says 568 jobs to be created

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kilarney

Mar 1, 2008
Vermont
Haven't seen this mentioned on the forums. An entrepreneur from Vermont has bought a pellet manufacturing mill in Pennsylvania. He is moving it to an industrial park in Rutland, Vermont. He has also bought the right to manufacture Bixby stoves, and will also manufacture them in Rutland.

He claims that 568 jobs will be created, which seems ambitious to me. He's going to have to put Bixby's name on the map, and hope that oil prices stay high. Even then, it sounds ambitious.

Here is the article:
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=8873625

I saw this guys ad a few months back and was a bit skeptical. He was looking for people to sign on with a 3 ton minimum cash upfront to get the business started. Actual delivery would be in the fall. The part that got me was if you signed on and paid for the 3 tons (at 199/ton) he would guarantee that $199 would be your fixed price per ton "forever". He is currently selling pellets for $289/ton to someone off the street. I find it hard to believe that he will be able to honor that price for the duration, even if he jumps through all the state hurdles in bringing a new pellet plant to Vermont. I work with 2 people who took him up on his offer and waiting to see if it works out for them.

New member weighing in here. I would be wary of pre-paying due to personal experience. In April of 2007 I contracted with a company in TN (Dogwood Energy) for 3 ton at $199 per for delivery in August. Turned into a nightmare. I had to file with TN Attorney General, they stopped answering phones, etc. I was calling 4 times per day and leaving messages at every extension possible. I think I was one of the few who got their money back in late September or October just before they filed bankruptcy. Never again.

Vermont Wood Energy seems to be the real deal. The company is currently operating out of the old Grimm building in Rutland but has just signed a lease agreement in our airport industrial complex in a recently vacant pallet maker. Hopefully, all this will gel and it will be a major employer for our area. The idea of having a stove manufacturer, pellet mill and pallet maker (for the pellets) in my backyard is an enticing proposition. So enticing that I bought the Bixby maxfire and took the 3 free pellet deal. I had been shopping for a pellet stove (at my wife's insistence!) and we settled on a Harman P68. Put down my deposit in late May and figured I was all set.
Well, you all know the rest of the story, no Harman till 2/09 or later. Great, I've already got four tons of pellets down cellar and no stove. So I stopped at VT Wood Energy and checked out the Bixby. I know, it looks like a washing machine from the Jetsons, but I bought one. It is not an inexpensive stove, about a grand higher than the P68. But they are in stock and will be installed before heating season. Of course, now hearth pads are in short supply which is delaying some installs. i built my own, piece of cake. I have picked up 2 of the 3 tons and will get the last one after work on Tuesday. The $199 / ton deal ended in May. from what I can see in the warehouse the supply looks adequate, with more on the way from PA.
With current oil pricing, the future should be bright for this venture as long as the business is run properly and profitably. One thing about this industry is that is should not be easily outsourced overseas if it can marketed to locals as a viable alternative to oil heat

Status
Not open for further replies.