vermont vigilant and ss flex liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

labrador

Hearth Supporter
Jul 19, 2008
upstate New York
road runner
I have a Vermont castings vigilant in a fireplace with about 18 to 24 inches of stove pipe going up the chimney. The stove actually sits on the hearth. The flue is 13 x 13 tile lined all the way up. I have used it this way for 6 years. Chimney is about 25 to 30 feet, in the middle of the house. Do I need to install flex liner or can I continue using it the way it is. Chimney is part of a double chimney, one for upstairs (Jotul c550) which has a liner. Chimneys are separate from each other. What might be the cost of 8" ss flex liner ? Best place to buy? Price from Northern supply is around $500. Thanks for the advice.

Full liner will carry better stack temps and protect the masonry. The draft characteristics will also be better. If you do this make sure to have the masonry cleaned before you install the liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.