Video shows how to make your own fire logs for free!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH

I like the idea but it would take a lot of junk mail to make 6 cords [emoji12]

I'd actually like to make a few one day to see what kind of burn quality you'd get. Don't think my days of cutting wood are over though.;lol

Wood fire looks like it is wide open. Turn down the air on the stove!

Last edited:
Wow he had his stove roaring during the video.

I'd actually like to make a few one day to see what kind of burn quality you'd get. Don't think my days of cutting wood are over though.;lol

I was thinking of making a form and using my neighbor's hydraulic log splitter to compress sawdust logs... but do you know how much faster it is to go out back and cut a couple more rounds?

Sawdust is good fertilizer anyway!

Hmmmmm I wonder how many BTU's are in one of those things!

Duraflame logs should not be used in any wood stove. They are for open fireplace burning.

Reactions: lakeroadster
What a mess!
Give my my Stihl and Monster Maul, and my 4WD Nissan pickup.

Kudos for trying to utilize waste and turn it into fuel, but in the time it took to make those two logs, including drying time, I could have split a cord of wood.

Reactions: Don2222
You could also just throw a stack of papers into the stove and splits on top of them.
Tried that many years ago. Found out it can burn poorly and end up clogging the screen pretty quickly if there's a screen in the cap. Without a screen there can be a lot of floating ash falling on the roof and yard.

I was going to make a paper pulp and sawdust brick but I wasn't sure it would burn. Thanks for the info - I guess it will burn. Wow, I have a great machine for making these bricks on a larger scale. It's called a tow-mixer. A tow-mixer is made out of a rear differential turned vertical with a round cattle tank on top. A lawn mower blade is connected to the top of the differential.

When towed the lawnmower blade turns with great torque. Fill the tank with water, sawdust and newspaper and tow for 3 or 4 blocks and you will have what this guy has. Open a trap door and pour into a frame. Remove the bricks the next day and let them dry - done. Or press them somehow with wood splitter/jig (great idea). I am going to try this sometime. Newspaper can be had for free (recycling). And sawdust free, too. The dump has big piles of sawdust - help yourself.

Easier than firewood? Probably not, but not too much harder.

Reactions: Don2222
I was going to make a paper pulp and sawdust brick but I wasn't sure it would burn. Thanks for the info - I guess it will burn. Wow, I have a great machine for making these bricks on a larger scale. It's called a tow-mixer. A tow-mixer is made out of a rear differential turned vertical with a round cattle tank on top. A lawn mower blade is connected to the top of the differential.

When towed the lawnmower blade turns with great torque. Fill the tank with water, sawdust and newspaper and tow for 3 or 4 blocks and you will have what this guy has. Open a trap door and pour into a frame. Remove the bricks the next day and let them dry - done. Or press them somehow with wood splitter/jig (great idea). I am going to try this sometime. Newspaper can be had for free (recycling). And sawdust free, too. The dump has big piles of sawdust - help yourself.

Easier than firewood? Probably not, but not too much harder.
Take some pics if you do it, we would luv to see. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.