Volt ready for retirement at 467,000 miles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the recommended service? I try to keep up with my drain and fills on my current fleet that does not yet include a CVT.
If you have ZF trannys, they are filled for life. No maintenance require. If you have a fleet check the manual and check if there is a service schedule for severe use. No service on those ZF transmission.

If I wasn't sold on electric vehicles before, I am now that I read all that!
Everything has its up and down. When I do like electric and it looks like changes are just around the corner, actually is far away from happening. For many, they are not affordable and they are not neither to be the only car on a household.

Everything has its up and down. When I do like electric and it looks like changes are just around the corner, actually is far away from happening. For many, they are not affordable and they are not neither to be the only car on a household.
Totally agree. Still too expensive, and battery technology still not certain. But, we've had over a hundred years to work the kinks out of transmissions, and they are still screwing them up.

Totally agree. Still too expensive, and battery technology still not certain. But, we've had over a hundred years to work the kinks out of transmissions, and they are still screwing them up.
It is the nature in everything, everything breaks. Many times is the consumer the one destroying vehicles. We have many customer pulling big campers with a 1500 and they say that is okay cause they just do it a few time a year. Those a few times is all what it takes to blow something. lol. Others, just purchased the vehicle to modified everything 3 minutes later putting tuners etc and blame us for their screw ups. It is what it is.

Reactions: sloeffle
But, we've had over a hundred years to work the kinks out of transmissions, and they are still screwing them up.

How’s that? His post said the ZF 8HP’s are pretty much bullet proof, and no maintenance to boot. When you’re putting a trans into 700 hp cars, for a customer base that spends every weekend at the track, and they’re still not blowing them up... you have a pretty reliable product. That’s the 8HP90.

How’s that? His post said the ZF 8HP’s are pretty much bullet proof, and no maintenance to boot. When you’re putting a trans into 700 hp cars, for a customer base that spends every weekend at the track, and they’re still not blowing them up... you have a pretty reliable product. That’s the 8HP90.
So you have one example of one they got right. Great.

I look forward to the absence of transmissions.

I spent $4k on a supposedly reliable Honda transmission right out of warranty several years ago.

Why in over 100 years of engineering are there so many stories of failures?

Why has that "bulletproof" example not been replicated? See next line for answer.

Transmission problems = profit for dealers and manufacturers.

So you have one example of one they got right. Great.
But I only buy the ones that they get right. It’s pretty easy today, to do your research and know when to steer clear. Truth be told, I own two automatic transmission cars today (both ZF 8HP70’s), and they are the only two automatic transmissions I have owned in the last 25 years, I was always a manual gearbox buyer, and have never had one fail in any car I have owned.

Why has that "bulletproof" example not been replicated? See next line for answer.

Interesting conspiracy theory, are you wearing your tinfoil hat today? Manufacturers have no interest in shipping defective product, at the expense of their own warranty costs and reputation, for the aid of their dealers.

The reason is simple: cost. Engineers must always compromise on performance and durability for the sake of cost and efficiency. One always hopes to make that sacrifice without impacting net reliability, but that rarely pans out as well as we would like.

99.9% of what i fix and deal with is warranty. No cost to the customer. I get paid way less time for the same job when is warranty but i prefer work all day on warranty and not CP ( customer pay ). Warranty, i make decision, get or order parts and keep moving forward. Customer pay, or they have no money, or not answering the phone, or they want to bring one from the junk yard that most of the time is not good and when something goes wrong a month later they still blaming us. I dont rebuild tranny for customer pay unless is something minor. I sale the whole transmission assembly. They get better warranty and a new or reman from Chrysler. If something happens they have Mopar warranty and i just deal with Chrysler. There is not profit there, just headaches with CP.

Status
Not open for further replies.