VT Casting Gas Resolute wireless remote dead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixedblade

Jul 31, 2008
Northeast Kingdom of Vt.
Hello: Hoping I can find some advise here to remedy the new problem with my VT Casting 5DV30RF propane Resolute stove. It's been working fine with the wireless remote controlling the stove until it suddenly stopped. A "repairman" told me the stove's RF receiver circuit is dead and needs replacing to the tune of several hundred bucks. I'd be willing to forgo the wireless remote control and hook up a normal wired wall thermostat if anyone can offer suggestions if that would work and how to do it.
Thanks,

Look at your stove manual & see if you CAN use a wired thermostat. If your unit has a standing
pilot, than I'd say the answer is yes, & that you need a millivolt thermostat. A SkyTech remote
will also probably work, but it WILL cost a couple hundred bucks...

This control system is that Honeywell Radio Frequency (RV8310) valve, and does not lend itself to being wired up to any sort of external switch. Difficult to do with very mixed results in the field.

If you can still find that valve, it is likely your best bet. Depending on the vintage of that STARDANCE stove (not a Resolute - SDV stood for Stardance Direct Vent) you may have an option for replacing the valve and setting the unit up on a SIT 820 Millivolt valve control (which is pretty much the gold standard for MV controls). Pictures always help determine vintage, but in this case even a serial may be enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.