Wall temperature too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was considering some pieces of sheet metal on stands that could be taken away when it isn't burning season. Paint to match wall as mentioned above.

elkimmeg said:
Having been in an actual test lab I know how the stoves are tested
Code wise is the wall can be 90 degrees above ambient temperatures
meaning 70 +90 = 160 degrees. 150 is less than 160 that is ok. This also assumes that the stove is opperated within it normal manufactures suggested heat range.
Should you let it get hotter and exceed it listing naturally, you could exceed the 160 degrees, Again how accurate is the infared thremo?

Elk do you know if they test these stoves in different room sizes. I remember reading your post about Vermont Casting and how they would have walls that were moveable to test for temperature but were they able to differ the room size. A 10 x10 room may provide enough clearance to combustibles with heatshields and double wall pipe but the ambient room temp could be better than 100F. If the room temp was 100 code would say 190 is acceptable. Is there a max temp regardless of ambient temp that would not be safe according to code?

Last week we become concerned about the long term results of having the wall to the side of our stove being so warm for such an extended period of time. Ours is a plaster wall, we are mainly concerned about wiring inside the wall. Haven't checked the temp lately but just recently it seems hotter than it got last winter when we only saw temps up to 125 F on the wall. Feels hot enough that you don't want to leave your hand there very long, previously it was just warm. Hubby and I talked about putting up some metal with space between it and the wall, but we have a gorgeous hearth and the living room would look funny if we stuck a sheet of metal up there. So I thought briefly, hmm, what else would dissipate the heat, not burn, and not look funny?

Came up with the idea of a glass aquarium, without live fish of course, but full of water. Looked around the basement and came up with 3 large (gallon and a half size is my estimate) glass jars. Filled them with water and set them up in a pyramid (one on top of the other two) about an inch from the wall, at the area where the wall was getting hottest. Viola' the wall is much cooler, and the change in appearance is minimal. Yesterday at hubby's family's house we scooped up some large clear glass vases that curve either in or out and would fit together somewhat and be even more attractive and unobtrusive. We will just move the jars further down and add the vases, and then the whole wall will be A LOT cooler. They are about a foot from the stove. Very simple, and easy to take down in summer. Helps that we have no children or pets, as you wouldn't want them knocking the glass over, although weighed down with water it is quite stable. Does anyone see a problem with our solution? I am quite keen on having thought of it, it looking nice, plus being free. (BIL rescued the vases that were being thrown out.)

snowfreak said:
elkimmeg said:
Having been in an actual test lab I know how the stoves are tested
Code wise is the wall can be 90 degrees above ambient temperatures
meaning 70 +90 = 160 degrees. 150 is less than 160 that is ok. This also assumes that the stove is opperated within it normal manufactures suggested heat range.
Should you let it get hotter and exceed it listing naturally, you could exceed the 160 degrees, Again how accurate is the infared thremo?

Elk do you know if they test these stoves in different room sizes. I remember reading your post about Vermont Casting and how they would have walls that were moveable to test for temperature but were they able to differ the room size. A 10 x10 room may provide enough clearance to combustibles with heatshields and double wall pipe but the ambient room temp could be better than 100F. If the room temp was 100 code would say 190 is acceptable. Is there a max temp regardless of ambient temp that would not be safe according to code?

First of all code governs room size a stove can be installed in it needs xx amount of combustion air.

The tes lab was huge and they only closed in side walls foe monitoring not the entire room enclosure.

Ambient tem is the confort range temp of 68-72 degrees, so 100 degrees is no considered within normal confort range

Status
Not open for further replies.