Wall thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

koodjack

Jan 25, 2012
nh
Hi guys, I finally bought a regency alterra cs 2400, I am thinking of installing it myself. The guy gave me 2 6x48in dsp chimney pipe and the t pipe to get me started. The guy told me I needed a wall thimble and some other stuff. Upon looking online for a selkirk wall thimble I just could not find a good instruction on how to install it, I am planning a through the wall install. Do I pass a chimney pipe thru the thimble? Please be patient with my ignorance. I have ask a quote from the pro and he was asking $1300 for the labor alone. Thanks again guys for all your help. Sash

Reactions: CenterTree
The chimney passes through the thimble. For a wall pass through, you need a 14"x14" hole. You will also need a Tee support bracket.

hi, i was wondering if its ok to add a 15 degree elbow on the chimney, cause i have like a 3 inch eave at the side of my house, also do i need to frame the wall thimble. thank you

hi, i was wondering if its ok to add a 15 degree elbow on the chimney, cause i have like a 3 inch eave at the side of my house, also do i need to frame the wall thimble. thank you
Chimney manufacturers say no to use elbows outside of the home. I'm not sure why, at least they can be inspected easily.
It's best to frame the opening for the thimble with some 2x's, that way it has good support and it gives you something to attach the trim to.

With only a 3" eave I'm wondering if you can extend the support brackets enough to keep the chimney 2" away from the eave. 5" is not a lot. I think DuraVent brackets will clear 6", not sure about Selkirk's. If they are shorter, a 2x4 mounting block would add 1.5".

Reactions: webby3650
Thank you guys, is it advisable to use granite under the stove, a friend is giving me this piece of granite he used in his island kitchen, on which they are remodeling and the size is just perfect for my alterra specs.

Thank you guys, is it advisable to use granite under the stove, a friend is giving me this piece of granite he used in his island kitchen, on which they are remodeling and the size is just perfect for my alterra specs.

http://www.regency-fire.com/Files/Specifications/R-CS2400.aspx

Looks like the granite would work providing it is the right size as this stove only seems to require ember protection (i.e. non combustible material).

If memory serves me right there was another member here a while back who stuck a large slab under his stove . . . looked absolutely beautiful. Nice, big slab of black granite if I recall correctly.

Hello all, thank you for all your help, I just got my thru the wall thimble in place, metalbestos instructions says to have the chimney pipe pass the inside wall at least 4.5 inches, how do I cover this stainless steel? they're finishing collar is only cover 1.25 inches. I am hoping to have it all black inside. Is it ok to use the round finishing support ( selkirk 6t-fspr ) use for the ceiling instead? Hope somebody can help with this dilemma. Thanks again.

You will need to paint the pipe, use some high temp paint like Stove Bright. You can use any piece of trim you want, their trim doesn't quit cover the hole if you made it square.

Diy final install on regency cs2400

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a nice clean install. I think you'll want another exterior bracket. Selkirk says one every 8 feet is the maximum. Looks like this is close to the max. I'd like to see two brackets on that length of pipe.

Screen Shot 2014-05-09 at 12.00.42 PM.png

A second wall bracket should suffice. I would move the upper one up 2 feet and then put a second one 7-8ft below it.

Also make sure that the screws are hitting some substantial wood. It's often a struggle to find a stud behind vinyl siding.

Status
Not open for further replies.