Walnut that will not make it to the fire place!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Loving it, Jay. That is a heck of a nice slab. If you get a chance sometime, throw up a pic or two of your hand tools (like the draw knife). Thats like doing it old skool.

Jags said:
Loving it, Jay. That is a heck of a nice slab. If you get a chance sometime, throw up a pic or two of your hand tools (like the draw knife). Thats like doing it old skool.

Never thought of that....

Slab #2

Attachments

• walnut 4.jpg
    walnut 4.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 140
  • walnut 5.jpg
    walnut 5.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 128
  • walnut 6.jpg
    walnut 6.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 126
mecreature said:
That is nutty Got Wood. Looks great against that background too.

Does it get very hot above that insert?

Not at all really. It exceeds the required clearances.

smokinjay said:
offroadaudio said:
Well we've been using the sub treds for about a year now - so what's another year right!?
I assume your point is, the mill could kiln dry in 30 days
If it's milled on site and stacked - we're talking a year or so?

For stairs if you milled it at 2-1/4 inchs cut your treads out and wax the ends good(melted candle wax) I would place them right away. I would also use a finnish wax on the flat surface for a couple years. Then you could strip it easy and do something else later.

Thanks for the info - I'll definitely take it into consideration as I decide how to approach this.

offroadaudio said:
smokinjay said:
offroadaudio said:
Well we've been using the sub treds for about a year now - so what's another year right!?
I assume your point is, the mill could kiln dry in 30 days
If it's milled on site and stacked - we're talking a year or so?

For stairs if you milled it at 2-1/4 inchs cut your treads out and wax the ends good(melted candle wax) I would place them right away. I would also use a finnish wax on the flat surface for a couple years. Then you could strip it easy and do something else later.

Thanks for the info - I'll definitely take it into consideration as I decide how to approach this.

Many ways to do it....But if I had an unfinnish stairs I would do it that way and have extra board just in case. Wax on wax off really dont that hard to do. Oh and it looks good. If you want it real shinny Wax off in a year and put whatever you want on it.

Also you can half Klein dry it. Then do the same-thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.