Walnut ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HighHeat22

Sep 29, 2011
southern michigan
Is walnut a good wood to burn. Got a good lead on some.

I love it. In my experience black walnut may not be the highest BTU or the fastest seasoning, but it is a nice middle road in both categories. actually, I feel that it's better than middle of the road, but you get the idea.

Burning walnut pretty much all the time for the last 3 years. Easy splitting as well.

Sure enough. Get it and burn it. It won't compare with oak or ash but it will give you a decent burn time.

Never had much to burn, but I imagine it's kinda like cherry. Everybody calls cherry a medium-grade firewood, but no one will complain about it taking up space inside their stove. Burns very hot and for a reasonably long time. It's not oak BTU-wise, but a very "user friendly" firewood that will warm yer buns without the long seasoning times of some of the high-BTU woods. If walnut is even close to cherry, I'd say I like it a real lot.

Splits like butter!!!!!

I like burning walnut too.... I usually don't have much and save it for kindling since it splits so easy with a hatchet

So far so good on walnut. I haven't burnt a lot of it yet, but I've got plenty of it too burn this year. It splits nice and smells wonderful.

Battenkiller said:
If walnut is even close to cherry, I'd say I like it a real lot.

I have found it to actually burn longer than the cherry in my area.

My Favorite!

Attachments

• walnut1.jpg
    walnut1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 309
That's some nice looking firewood, Jay!

Danno77 said:
That's some nice looking firewood, Jay!

Kinda looks like its on fire setting there....lol That is flame grain.

Walnut - splits nice. Generally it is pretty straight grained. Medium btu output. Burns nice, BUT, it will yield more ashes than some of the other varieties. Not a big deal, but might be a pain if you burned it exclusively. Take it, you'll like it.

Decent heat though not like oak/hickory,hard maple or the locusts.Smells great & easy to split.I normally burn a small amount of tops/branches & milling scrap every Fall or Spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.