Wanted to say thanks. Last wood fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
as stated before for anyone wondering about coal check out coalpail forums
I spent a ton of time on there before I bought my Hitzer. I think it would be nice if Hearth.com had some more coal enthusiasts that are active. People are still burning coal contrary to popular belief... When I tell people around here that we started heating with coal they are in shock, unaware that anyone still uses coal these days. Yup! Even your electric car uses coal!

Last edited:
Coal in central Alberta is $81 CAD per tonne, plus a $35.45 per tonne carbon tax that came into effect Jan 1st. The frustrations of rural residents due to the high cost of coal from the carbon tax even made the news, but by the looks of it here we have it cheap at our price which works out to $80.27 USD per ton with the tax.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Coal in central Alberta is $81 CAD per tonne, plus a $35.45 per tonne carbon tax that came into effect Jan 1st. The frustrations of rural residents due to the high cost of coal from the carbon tax even made the news, but by the looks of it here we have it cheap at our price which works out to $80.27 USD per ton with the tax.
I’m assuming that’s Bit coal, rather than anthracite.

I remember my Grandparent's old house was always super warm inside no matter how cold it was outside. My Grandmother usually had windows open on a frigid day because Pap ran the coal furnace too hot for her liking.

I’m assuming that’s Bit coal, rather than anthracite.

That's correct, we don't have anthracite coal in Alberta that I'm aware of, but we do have a lot of high grade bituminous coal in the mountains that is mined and shipped to Asia for steelmaking.

Keep posting about your experience, maybe we can get some traction for coal burners here.
Yes, please. I anticipate ditching one of my wood stoves in the next few years, this 10 cords per year habit is not jibing with my other priorities and obligations, and coal is currently near or at the top of the list as a replacement for one stove.
Im not sure if burning coal will properly align with the politics on this forum. I wish we had coal available here, sounds like a great fuel.
Whose politics? I'm not sure why choice of heating fuel needs to be tied to your politics.
And, killed millions and millions, too. Maybe all of us before it's over.

Guess your kids or grandchildren will let you know!
That is an extremely naive and uninformed viewpoint. Yes, there are adverse health effects tied to coal, most acutely for those who mined it. But there are also countless masses over those same decades and centuries with lives improved or saved by the technology, electricity, and transportation provided by the same coal, when there were not economically or technologically viable alternatives. Extending arguments in either direction to today or the future, in the context of the amount of fuel burned by a small fraction of the population operating coal stoves in their own homes, is an absurd extension of an argument with already limited merit and no positive outcome for this forum.

Generally i go thru 3 ton unless its colder than usual .Which is ($200 Ton)$600 total delivered. Gives me about 75 million Btus . Heating a leaky 100 yr old 3000SF 3 story home. I use the wood stoves much more in my workshop and in houses i rehab than i do in my main home. Hardly ever home.

that is pretty impressive

Yes, please. I anticipate ditching one of my wood stoves in the next few years, this 10 cords per year habit is not jibing with my other priorities and obligations, and coal is currently near or at the top of the list as a replacement for one stove.

Whose politics? I'm not sure why choice of heating fuel needs to be tied to your politics.

That is an extremely naive and uninformed viewpoint. Yes, there are adverse health effects tied to coal, most acutely for those who mined it. But there are also countless masses over those same decades and centuries with lives improved or saved by the technology, electricity, and transportation provided by the same coal, when there were not economically or technologically viable alternatives. Extending arguments in either direction to today or the future, in the context of the amount of fuel burned by a small fraction of the population operating coal stoves in their own homes, is an absurd extension of an argument with already limited merit and no positive outcome for this forum.

Politics and fuel sources are inextricably intertwined. We are lucky that we do not need to import coal, but we do import oil from countries with countless human rights violations. Continuing to use petroleum based products (unfortunately I have to do this myself) is supporting oppressive and totalitarian regimes. It's unfortunate, but true. Easy Livin is also correct that coal has lead to the deaths of countless people. However wood burning has probably killed far more lives.

Not really available local here despite the deep past history of it (I am 10 minutes from Springhill). So never was a consideration for me. Especially with all those trees out back. But if good stuff was available, it would certainly be something to consider. Thinking dealing with ash could be a bit of a challenge? Not just cleanly getting it out of the stove or boiler and out of the house - but also disposing of it?

(Kind of totally ignorant here about the whole subject, despite being in those infamous mine tunnels a couple of times...)

Reactions: Shaun643
Not really available local here despite the deep past history of it (I am 10 minutes from Springhill). So never was a consideration for me. Especially with all those trees out back. But if good stuff was available, it would certainly be something to consider. Thinking dealing with ash could be a bit of a challenge? Not just cleanly getting it out of the stove or boiler and out of the house - but also disposing of it?

(Kind of totally ignorant here about the whole subject, despite being in those infamous mine tunnels a couple of times...)

Some folks on the coal forums use the ash on their property for fill, driveways, ect. I just put it back in the bags the coal came in & add it to my trash bags. It then goes to a transfer center, then through one of the regional incinerators & finally ends up at one of the lined ash landfills.

that is pretty impressive
I get some help from a sun porch that really performs on sunny days. But we always keep this ol barn about 76-77 degrees. When you get old yur bones need heat to unthaw. :p

It would be easy if you were dealing with a hot water system. You cold put one coal boiler in the garage or the basement.
With hot air in the living space you will need a stove in each section.

You are considering it, so you are biased. Got it. My statement was 0% political. Just facts.

I'd burn it if it were free out my back door, but I'd be under no illusion that it wasn't some nasty stuff.

Almost every one who had to burn it switched as soon as they could.

Report back in a few years after heating with coal to see how you feel about it. You might like it, but probably won't. It is not something that most people that have alternative resources choose.

I'm going to choose not to be offended by you calling my 100% accurate post naive and ill informed, in memory of Kobe. Life's too short to be angry, or to burn coal.

One more thing- You have volunteered in the past that you are asthmatic. Between burning coal and tires and brakes, perhaps you should take a look at the following link:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Kobe was a good guy. No doubt about it. Good guys get killed every day though and not by coal. Money killed Kobe.
I totally agree, I thought exactly the same thing.

I wasn't saying anything about coal killing him, just that life is too short to do certain things, and that is the lesson I took from the tragedy.

Reactions: Ludlow
Is there a need to sweep the chimney?
No. It leaves a whitish dust like powder from fly ash. Nothing on the roof.
Masonry chimney is normally not an issue, but any metallic structure around the top such as iron or stainless cover corrodes away.
The moisture during summer is the issue. Leaving an air vent open on a stove all summer allows cold heavy night air containing moisture to drop down the chimney. Stainless prefab chimney pipe life can be extended by wrapping a rag around a chimney brush and wiping it out at season end. I wet rag with used oil, transmission fluid or hydraulic fluid, whatever I have to make the particles stick to the rag and coat the inside. I use regular Dura-Vent multi fuel chimney pipe, so the more corrosion resistant liners for coal probably don't need cleaning. Stainless pipe inside doesn't need to be replaced like using black pipe. Black pipe 2 or 3 years has holes through it. My stainless looks new after 25. Only discolored.

Reactions: Dieselhead
Nothing to be angry about ,its all a matter of personal preference. Just us burners giving our personal experience . Of course you will have to clean up for either ,but for me the black dust from the anthracite along with the white dust from the ashes is worse than and dust and dirt from the wood. If you dont mind it, all well and good. As i said let us know how you find it after awhile using the coal. Only some anthracite coal is made less dusty with added oil spray. Possibly the bagged. Aside from the dirt coal does burn longer with more heat per pound and less fussing over the stove, i know i have both ,,i just dont want the coal in my living room.
I was given a Surdiac (or Efel type) from a customer I changed out to a LP gas stove. That was my first coal stove. They don't have moveable grates, you use a slicer knife through little slots across the grate to clean. It works ok, but the dust from the slots even having little doors on them became airborne in the house. The thermostat is an oil filled capillary tube type that is much more accurate and did use less fuel. (Pea)
The second was a Gibratar that uses the best grate system I've used. That includes lots of heavy equipment burning coal. That was the cleanest stove using inside. The Hitzer isn't bad, but takes a lot of shaking. It still needs to be poked from the bottom up to get it good and clean for maximum heat output when needed. If you take time to turn the blower off when shaking and removing ash, that helps. The shaker system means a lot for cleanliness using a coal stove. Ash pan design makes a difference too. The type like a scoop with no back is best. You never have to shovel ash out that misses the pan or gets packed behind it. It's all about preventing it from getting airborne.
The Reading brand my supplier sells is black and shiny without black dust. Play with a little Bituminus and that stuff is like black chalk!

Reactions: Hoytman
Highbeam, I guess this is the kind of crap you were referring to?
To me it has nothing to do with politics. I have burnt coal I work on lots of coal burners and I also see what the ecological impact of coal mining and coal.ash disposal has done. Yes it helped advance our civilization greatly. But that advancement came with huge costs as well.

Why does a Hearth need to be burning wood to be discussed on hearth.com? There’s other sites that discuss wood too, so saying there’s other sites that discuss coal doesn’t make sense. Just seems weird to me.
No one has complained about discussing coal here. But if you want input from other coal burners you will get more of that on sites more geared towards coal.

Reactions: SpaceBus
To me it has nothing to do with politics. I have burnt coal I work on lots of coal burners and I also see what the ecological impact of coal mining and coal.ash disposal has done. Yes it helped advance our civilization greatly. But that advancement came with huge costs as well.
I think on a home heating level, especially with so few people using, anthracite coal is pretty benign. Using coal on an national industrial level is definitely a large cause of environmental change. Like you said, the ash is so difficult to deal with. At least they are finally finding a use for it, although it seems to be cheaper to seal it into the earth. Much worse than burning coal is the rapid global deforestation by fire happening right now. At least coal exhaust from a home heating stove or boiler is very clean.

Yes it puts tons of flyash into the chimney.
Does that harm a masonry chimney?
I only have metal in use and clean at season end. I get a little white residue, that's all. I pull the connector pipe off and rinse well and store pipe. If I don't do that, it's gone. I use a nylon brush wrapped with damp rags to clean inside chimney pipe, then dump some old oil on a clean rag to coat the inside. My cheap Dura-Vent is over 25 years old. The last piece of my original Dura-Vent I replaced this year came with the Goldilocks stove bought 1/24/85 ! That had a 25 year warranty back then. The first 10 years was wood only. Got 35 out of it burning both for the last 25. Finally put a screwdriver through the inner liner.

I think on a home heating level, especially with so few people using, anthracite coal is pretty benign. Using coal on an national industrial level is definitely a large cause of environmental change. Like you said, the ash is so difficult to deal with. At least they are finally finding a use for it, although it seems to be cheaper to seal it into the earth. Much worse than burning coal is the rapid global deforestation by fire happening right now. At least coal exhaust from a home heating stove or boiler is very clean.
I agree with you there. Home heating especially at the current levels of useage doesn't contribute much.

If you take time to turn the blower off when shaking and removing ash, that helps. The shaker system means a lot for cleanliness using a coal stove.
I have a stoke boiler,no shaker or manual grates. Full tub of ash every 2 days.

Does that harm a masonry chimney?
I only have metal in use and clean at season end. I get a little white residue, that's all. I pull the connector pipe off and rinse well and store pipe. If I don't do that, it's gone. I use a nylon brush wrapped with damp rags to clean inside chimney pipe, then dump some old oil on a clean rag to coat the inside. My cheap Dura-Vent is over 25 years old. The last piece of my original Dura-Vent I replaced this year came with the Goldilocks stove bought 1/24/85 ! That had a 25 year warranty back then. The first 10 years was wood only. Got 35 out of it burning both for the last 25. Finally put a screwdriver through the inner liner.
Coal will eat clay liners as well yes. But if left in the chimney it absorbs moisture and gets hard like cement. That can cause several problems. One it will build up over time eventually restricting the chimney. It can also come off the walls of the chimney in sheets once you start burning again causing an instant and possibly full blockage.

Status
Not open for further replies.