Wanting to replace prefab Temco TFC 39-3 with woodburning insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TesloG

Mar 10, 2023
Guys, Tn
I recently purchased this home with the above mentioned insert. It has a dual burner gas log set in it now. I have read online the install information on this unit and it says you can burn wood in it (which made me believe the construction around it would allow me to remove and replace with a wood burning insert.) I moved from a home with a Jotul wood stove in it. My wife wants to demo the whole corner and replace with sheetrock then install a wood stove in the alcove to the left of the current situation. I am leanng towards an Ironstrike Montlake 230 or a Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 which dimensionally would fit. After reading some threads here I now have concerns that I can't do it because of the zero clearance and combustibles in the attic. I have enclosed pictures of the front of the unit, the mfg tag, views from up in the atttic and outside . Any help would be greatly appreciated!

wide view.jpg standard view.jpg nameplate info.jpg venting warning.jpg attic view of chimney.jpg outside view.jpg

I recently purchased this home with the above mentioned insert. It has a dual burner gas log set in it now. I have read online the install information on this unit and it says you can burn wood in it (which made me believe the construction around it would allow me to remove and replace with a wood burning insert.) I moved from a home with a Jotul wood stove in it. My wife wants to demo the whole corner and replace with sheetrock then install a wood stove in the alcove to the left of the current situation. I am leanng towards an Ironstrike Montlake 230 or a Pacific Energy Alderlea 75 which dimensionally would fit. After reading some threads here I now have concerns that I can't do it because of the zero clearance and combustibles in the attic. I have enclosed pictures of the front of the unit, the mfg tag, views from up in the atttic and outside . Any help would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 310898 View attachment 310899 View attachment 310900 View attachment 310901 View attachment 310902 View attachment 310903
Yeah you can't install an insert in there

So there is nothing I can do to correct the inside of this chimney/firebox area to make it safe? is it a dimensional clearance issue?
WARNING: THIS FIREPLACE IS NOT INTENDED TOBE USED WITH ANY COMPONENTS OTHER THANTHOSE SPECIFIED IN THIS MANUAL (i.e.FIREPLACEINSERTS, BLOWERS, GLASS DOOR EXTENSIONS,HEAT CIRCULATORS).COULD RESULT IN A SERIOUS FIRE HAZARD

This is directly from the manual for your fireplace

And you absolutely cannot just pull out that fireplace and put an insert in its place. It would have to be replaced with a new high efficiency fireplace and chimney

And you absolutely cannot just pull out that fireplace and put an insert in its place. It would have to be replaced with a new high efficiency fireplace and chimney
Or the chase could be opened up to create an alcove enclosure for a proper freestanding stove, paying close attention to clearance requirements.

Reactions: cahaak and bholler
Or the chase could be opened up to create an alcove enclosure for a proper freestanding stove, paying close attention to clearance requirements.
Yes

Do lots of research to examine the options. The good news is that a good EPA ZC fireplace or a freestanding stove will provide much more heat using less wood than the old Temco. PE makes both.

Keep us posted and feel free to ask more questions.

Do lots of research to examine the options. The good news is that a good EPA ZC fireplace or a freestanding stove will provide much more heat using less wood than the old Temco. PE makes both.

Keep us posted and feel free to ask more questions.
An update for this Tempco replacement:
I have decided to go with a free standing wood stove (exact brand still undecided perhaps a Pacific Energy or Hearthstone.) I called in a stove contractor and we discussed removing the interior chase and making that corner of the room a 90 degree corner wall and moving the stove placement over to the left where there is currently a small alcove. I have attached pictures showing the dimensions of the alcove.
The attic space between the inside ceiling and roof is approx. 2 feet.

The contractor suggested bringing the flue (double wall insulated pipe) up and thru where I show the outside of the house and have a white line representing it.

I have major concerns for this placement as from what Ive read it violates the 10-2 rule. He told me that no more than one pipe connection cannot be done above the roofline so we are looking at: 8-1/2 feet of interior height total (stove included) and 2 feet of attic then thru the roof. I am thinking that about 3 feet of pipe would come thru the roof with another section attached would bring the outside chimney pipe to 6 feet tall. Looking at the outside picture there is just no clearance within the 10 foot requirement yet alone 2 foot above any ridgeline .
The outside view shows 2 small windows that reflect the interior alcove location.

Any suggestions or thoughts? Do you need more dimensions to comment?

Alcove next to interior chase.jpg Dimensions of alcove for wood stove.jpg proposed new woodburner chimney.jpg outside view.jpg

Should work as long as the alcove clearance requirements for the stove of choice are met or exceeded. The chimney will need to be higher to meet the 10-3-2 rule. Do you know if this is on the windward or leeward side of the house for the prevailing winter winds?
10-3-2 rule.JPG

I'm trying to orient myself. Are the windows behind the fireplace fake?

Should work as long as the alcove clearance requirements for the stove of choice are met or exceeded. The chimney will need to be higher to meet the 10-3-2 rule. Do you know if this is on the windward or leeward side of the house for the prevailing winter winds?
View attachment 311476

I'm trying to orient myself. Are the windows behind the fireplace fake?
The chimney will be on the leeward side of the house. The windows are real as you can see them in the alcove and from the outside of the house( they dont open tho). I have plenty of clearance in the alcove that is not of concern to me. My concern is violating the 10/2 rule. As you can see from the picuture of the outside of the house I have 2 roof pitches 1 is less than 2 feet from where the chimney comes out of the attic and the other is way less than 10 ' away. Is it true that you can only have one pipe connection above the roof line? if I have 3 feet of pipe coming out and then a second piece extended from there it only gives me 6-7 feet tall which is way less than the ridgeline.

The chimney will be on the leeward side of the house. The windows are real as you can see them in the alcove and from the outside of the house( they dont open tho). I have plenty of clearance in the alcove that is not of concern to me. My concern is violating the 10/2 rule. As you can see from the picuture of the outside of the house I have 2 roof pitches 1 is less than 2 feet from where the chimney comes out of the attic and the other is way less than 10 ' away. Is it true that you can only have one pipe connection above the roof line? if I have 3 feet of pipe coming out and then a second piece extended from there it only gives me 6-7 feet tall which is way less than the ridgeline.
Also DONT look at the current chimney coming out as that would be removed and roofing replaced. Please look at the wide white line to the right of it.

Yes. I saw the thick white line representing the proposed chimney. This new chimney does not need to be higher than the ridgeline. It needs to be 2 ft higher than any portion of the roof, within ten feet. This can be below the roof peak. There can be multiple chimneys and often are. The flue system from stovetop to chimney cap should be at least 15ft. tall. A shorter 13' flue system might work, but low chimneys on the leeward side can sometimes be a problem and some stoves require at least 15' of flue to draft properly. Of the two mentioned, the Alderlea T5 would draft easier.

chimney location.png

Yes. I saw the thick white line representing the proposed chimney. This new chimney does not need to be higher than the ridgeline. It needs to be 2 ft higher than any portion of the roof, within ten feet. This can be below the roof peak. There can be multiple chimneys and often are. The flue system from stovetop to chimney cap should be at least 15ft. tall. A shorter 13' flue system might work, but low chimneys on the leeward side can sometimes be a problem and some stoves require at least 15' of flue to draft properly. Of the two mentioned, the Alderlea T5 would draft easier.

View attachment 311509
Thank you so much for this information. I really appreciate it and the house diagram too!