Washers in re-burn tubes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mooch

Jan 23, 2019
Jm
Has anyone had experience with putting washers in the ends of re-burn tubes to get longer burn times?

I’ve never heard of anyone taking this approach. Some have restricted the main air intake further than the factory allows. Some use very large blocks of wood to help extend the burn. What unit do you have?

I’ve never heard of anyone taking this approach. Some have restricted the main air intake further than the factory allows. Some use very large blocks of wood to help extend the burn. What unit do you have?
Osburn Stratford

Soon I will be experimenting with reducing the airflow into the secondary tubes to slow my stove down a bit. For me it's not so much to extend burn times but to tame my overactive secondaries. On a full load once my stove gets going the secondaries are so strong that parts of the stove will glow a little bit.

My plan is to fit a chunk of baffle board into the ends of the tubes and then drill the center out effectively reducing the tubes intake volume more or less until I find a sweet spot.

Last edited:
Interesting, let us know how that works for you. SBI company supplied me with the washers.

Interesting, let us know how that works for you. SBI company supplied me with the washers.
Really? They supplied you with something that will alter the combustion system?

Wow did SBI or a dealer do that?

Really? They supplied you with something that will alter the combustion system?
There is an old post around where an SBI employee (fyrebug) discussed his own overdraft problem, and said he was reporting the issue to the engineers to try to find a solution. Perhaps this is it?

Are the washers to address too much draft? Interesting way rather then installing a damper which is a no can do for an insert.

Washer pics please.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Are the washers to address too much draft? Interesting way rather then installing a damper which is a no can do for an insert.

Washer pics please.
I'm also real curious to see how these look, and what would prevent them from moving around inside the tubes when installing them.

Im thinking they are cylindrical, not a flat washer. We will hopefully see :)

20190220_063510.jpg

Attachments

• 20190220_063458.jpg
    20190220_063458.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 386
Reactions: therealdbeau
How about that. Surely they are not meant to go inside the tubes. Maybe between the end if the tube and where they interface with the rest of the stove.

How much of a difference would you say there is between the hole in the washer and the diameter of the secondary tubes? Your secondary tubes aren't the same diameter as the outside of the washers are they?

I wish these existed for my stove. My workaround works but this is factory. I hadn't thought of this approach. Nice.

As an aside, it's amazing how little air the stove can need.

I wish these existed for my stove. My workaround works but this is factory. I hadn't thought of this approach. Nice.

As an aside, it's amazing how little air the stove can need.

How did you go about it ?

How about that. Surely they are not meant to go inside the tubes. Maybe between the end if the tube and where they interface with the rest of the stove.

How much of a difference would you say there is between the hole in the washer and the diameter of the secondary tubes? Your secondary tubes aren't the same diameter as the outside of the washers are they?
On my SBI stove, there would be no way to install them, except inside the tube, as the tube sticks into the walls of the stove on both sides. Perhaps the Stratford has a completely different arrangement. There would be nothing to keep them from flopping over inside the tube and coming to rest at an angle. Maybe that would be ok, though.

Sbi provides this same firebox to a few manufacturers, Osborn, Enerzone, Hearthstone to name a few that came to mind. I’ve installed Several of all three versions. It’s hard to tell from the pics, but the washers look larger than the tubes to me. This is the first I’ve heard of this revision, no dealer service notifications have been sent out that I’m aware of. I’m really surprised they are able to offer a part that alters it’s combustion system after it’s been tested.