Washers in re-burn tubes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I just recently got my hands on some truly dry wood and it still leaves the white film on the glass. I'm thinking its "Normal"

I get the white film even when running loads at 700+ stove top temp in my noncat nc30. Easy to clean and pretty much transparent but when removed the glass is crystal clear.

I was curious and watched one video on the operation of this fireplace. He pointed out the optional adjustable air intake damper but you said you would have to go into the wall to add it.
How about if you restrict the fresh air intake at the opening? Put something like a can lid or other piece of metal over the opening to partially block the fresh air intake and see if that would make a difference. You would have to put on warm clothes to adjust it but you may find a sweet spot that would give you longer burns without having to adjust it too often.
Maybe that would keep the air wash functioning better as well.
Just a thought.

Reactions: Das Jugghead
I get the white film even when running loads at 700+ stove top temp in my noncat nc30. Easy to clean and pretty much transparent but when removed the glass is crystal clear.
Yeah my wife has asked if I had the door open because it is so clear. I can get through about 3 days without any haze but no matter how I load the stove I still get it. I guess that is why people get stoves without glass. I don't mind cleaning it and like the ambiance.

I was curious and watched one video on the operation of this fireplace. He pointed out the optional adjustable air intake damper but you said you would have to go into the wall to add it.
How about if you restrict the fresh air intake at the opening? Put something like a can lid or other piece of metal over the opening to partially block the fresh air intake and see if that would make a difference. You would have to put on warm clothes to adjust it but you may find a sweet spot that would give you longer burns without having to adjust it too often.
Just a thought.
I've modified my vogelzang defender by adding a small piece of aluminum tape over the secondary air intake and it behaves much better and get longer burns. That stove only is 1.5 cu.ft. and I can get 6 to 8 hour burns.

Reactions: Das Jugghead
There is such a thing as bottom ash and fly ash. Fly ash is microscopic enough to become entrained with air and be carried out with the flue gasses. I'm thinking it could also be mixed with moisture and stick to whatever is around, like the front glass, insides of the flue etc.

Just a thought.
Yes that's a good idea. I have thought about doing that just didnt want to do anything that could be dangerous

Yes that's a good idea. I have thought about doing that just didnt want to do anything that could be dangerous

I believe the worst it could do is starve the fire. Are there air inlets in the doors as well? In the video I saw, the guy showed an adjustable air inlet in the right hand door as well.

I believe the worst it could do is starve the fire. Are there air inlets in the doors as well? In the video I saw, the guy showed an adjustable air inlet in the right hand door as well.

There is an adjustable air control on bottom right, for fresh air

I used crumpled up steel foil (not aluminum, it will melt!) In my air tubes to block about 50% of each tube (I actually blocked the front tubes a but more and progressively less blockage moving backwards as this then causes the gases to be pulled towards the vack tube).

My burn times have gone up a fair bit and I get the same or more heat with a cooler flue (not wasting so much heat up the chimney). My main reason for doing it was that the secondaries would rage out of control even with the air completely choked and caused me to nearly overfire a few times.

Reactions: velvetfoot
Putting a damper is probably out and putting a damper on fresh air intake is out as well. unless I tear apart all the stone work. Which if I do that I'm pulling the whole unit out and getting rid of it. I will try all tubes tonight after work as suggested. The washer just fit in by friction.
Did you try all the washers? We are eagerly awaiting your report.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
Did you try all the washers? We are eargerly awaiting your report.
I tried 2 tubes could not get the third tube out so I stopped. The 2 didn't help at all. So I took some other advice to try restricting the fresh air. So I used aluminum foil tape and covered more than 50% and was still able to close the fresh air lever all the way back. But it still did not extend the burn times, and still got as hot as it did before. May try one more piece of aluminum foil tape to restrict it even more.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I tried 2 tubes could not get the third tube out so I stopped. The 2 didn't help at all. So I took some other advice to try restricting the fresh air. So I used aluminum foil tape and covered more than 50% and was still able to close the fresh air lever all the way back. But it still did not extend the burn times, and still got as hot as it did before. May try one more piece of aluminum foil tape to restrict it even more.
Bummer.

What prevented you from getting the last tube out?

Where are you applying the foil tape on the stove? Pics preferred :).

Bummer.

What prevented you from getting the last tube out?

Where are you applying the foil tape on the stove? Pics preferred :).
I'll take pics tonight. not sure y I couldn't get the third tube out. It was like when you slide it to the right then take left side out it was still in about a 1/16. Didnt mess with it to long

I'll take pics tonight. not sure y I couldn't get the third tube out. It was like when you slide it to the right then take left side out it was still in about a 1/16. Didnt mess with it to long
Are the tubes the ones with pins, or the ones you twist, and lock in? And there are three, I'm presuming?

I think you should make all efforts to get them all out and washers installed. I know it's a pain. But, it's the engineered solution to your problem, and you just made the air much stronger in the back tube where you left it unconstricted. Don't quit right before the finish line.

Are the tubes the ones with pins, or the ones you twist, and lock in? And there are three, I'm presuming?

I think you should make all efforts to get them all out and washers installed. I know it's a pain. But, it's the engineered solution to your problem, and you just made the air much stronger in the back tube where you left it unconstricted. Don't quit right before the finish line.
They are the ones with pins And there are 4 of them Ok I'll try it tonight again

They are the ones with pins And there are 4 of them Ok I'll try it tonight again
I bet it will make a difference. Whether it solves your issue completely remains to be seen. But, if they went to the trouble and expense to engineer a solution, there's no reason to believe it won't work if you implement it. It's not the sort of thing that works half way if you install half the washers. Same amount of air (or thereabouts) is getting in as if you did nothing, by putting two in. Just all through the back tubes. We are rooting for you.

I bet it will make a difference. Whether it solves your issue completely remains to be seen. But, if they went to the trouble and expense to engineer a solution, there's no reason to believe it won't work if you implement it. It's not the sort of thing that works half way if you install half the washers. Same amount of air (or thereabouts) is getting in as if you did nothing, by putting two in. Just all through the back tubes. We are rooting for you.

Attachments

• 20190225_154456.jpg
    20190225_154456.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 343
Interesting. Thanks! There is no similar opening in my insert, but as yours is a fireplace, that isn't a surprise

Literally only about a 1/2 inch opening on top of fresh air intake hole. And I can still close the fresh air damper all the way closed

Literally only about a 1/2 inch opening on top of fresh air intake hole. And I can still close the fresh air damper all the way closed
Is that foil tape on the stove or where the Outside air intake mounts to the stove? You want it on the stove side od the intake.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk