Weather change yesterday,today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
What a change. yesterday calm & sunny to snowing & 50 mph wind gusts today.

Attachments

• 100_4480.jpg
    100_4480.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 498
  • 100_4481.jpg
    100_4481.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 501
It's been absolutely balmy here! Reached a high of 57° this afternoon. Almost felt hot.

Well all the snow that's blowing away isn't coming your way.
-8 °f chill factor here, 15 deg with 40 mph winds.
Cleaned/Sharpened saws inside today.
Shoveled snow drifts outside shop door, twice. (will have to do it again if this keeps up)
Ready for spring here too :), (4 more weeks)

quads said:
It's been absolutely balmy here! Reached a high of 57° this afternoon. Almost felt hot.

Wow! Some guys have all the luck. I thought it great when we hit 50!

Last night 15 & today, 28 & snowed again
March is our snow month, snow, blow, melt, snow etc

Attachments

• 100_4483.jpg
    100_4483.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 358
March can be the bad month for deep snow here (April fools blizzard a little over ten years ago)

Kinda hoping we already got ours in December this year.

5° here this am, more snow
-24°F in Fairbanks. burrrrrr

bogydave said:

My sister e-mailed me yesterday and said they have been getting hammered in Portage . . . after having several days of rain that took away most of the snow . . . and sadly they're among the folks who scavenge their firewood a little at a time and so they were out this past weekend taking beetle kill spruce to buck and split for use this week . . . hopefully when they make the move here to Maine they'll get ahead of the game and see the light of getting the firewood in early.

firefighterjake said:
bogydave said:

My sister e-mailed me yesterday and said they have been getting hammered in Portage . . . after having several days of rain that took away most of the snow . . . and sadly they're among the folks who scavenge their firewood a little at a time and so they were out this past weekend taking beetle kill spruce to buck and split for use this week . . . hopefully when they make the move here to Maine they'll get ahead of the game and see the light of getting the firewood in early.

A few days ago, Portage was isolated with 2 avalanches.
Living with the glaciers means cold, wind & snow in winter, cold wind & rain in the summer :) Maine will be better weather for her. Quit a bit south, 4 seasons too.

bogydave said:
firefighterjake said:
bogydave said:

A few days ago, Portage was isolated with 2 avalanches.
Living with the glaciers means cold, wind & snow in winter, cold wind & rain in the summer :) Maine will be better weather for her. Quit a bit south, 4 seasons too.

Yup . . . there has been more than a few times she has had to wait to get home . . . or has had to call the hospital to tell them she couldn't get into work due to an avalanche . . . something that she will not have to contend with in Maine. In fact, she wrote me the day they had one of those avalanches . . . said driving into work on the Seward Highway was terrible . . . could barely see the guardrails . . . and then she had learned the highway was blocked about an hour before she was going to head home.

I think she'll enjoy being back home for some things . . . close to family (also a negative), she'll have a reason to buy and wear shorts in the summer again, four seasons, fresh vegetables in the stores (although she was doing pretty well with her garden . . . the supermarket fruits and veggies however she said rotted quickly due to the time it took to barge them in) and Maine in many ways is like a mini-Alaska . . . the culture is similar, folks like being outdoors and enjoy fishing, hunting, four wheeling, sledding, skiing, etc . . . just on a smaller scale . . . well that and we don't have any animals that will attack us. ;)

Dave, or anyone else here, do you keep up to date on the Iditarod? It is a pretty darned good race so far and I like the looks of Jeff King. He's back on the trail after pulling his mandatory 24 hour layover.

Following it right now.GPS tracking on the teams this year.
I'm a Buser fan but his strategy has been off for the past few years.
Down to King, Mackey, Neff, M Seavy & Schnuelle I think. Quite a few have their 24 hour lay over completed.
Weather can always come into play though.

Status
Not open for further replies.