snavematt Posted By snavematt, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:44 PM

1. snavematt

snavematt
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 7, 2016
    Loc:
    Virginia
    man, can I get a break, not lower than 50s during the day till at least Tuesday next week. This is like buying a snow blower.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    RandyBoBandy and Rangerbait like this.
  2. Rangerbait

Rangerbait
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 17, 2016
    Loc:
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I was thinking the same thing, although for slightly different reasons. I don't have a stove yet, but am hoping for some sub-freezing temps so I can get back into the woods for some wood harvesting. I went out on Sunday to get a jump on next season's supply, and it was a muddy mess. 859f94575ea579b17004835a585ce095.jpg

Huntindog1 likes this.
  3. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It was 40F at 7am this morning, 49F at 11:30pm.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Huntindog1

Huntindog1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 6, 2011
    Loc:
    South Central Indiana
    weather in Indiana has put a damper on my wood harvesting too, <>

5. toddnic

toddnic
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 13, 2013
    Loc:
    North Carolina
    I consider it "money in the bank." If I'm not burning that means that I don't have to replenish that wood. It looks like we have cold weather coming in a week or so....

Woody Stover and BuckyBeaver524 like this.
  6. fire_man

fire_man
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 6, 2009
    Loc:
    North Eastern MA
    One load each night is all I need in these temps. I'm going through fire starters faster every year!

Woody Stover likes this.
  7. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    55F currently. Feels like spring. Running on the heat pump. It's going to get colder soon so I am letting coals die down and will clean out the ashes later.

8. BuckyBeaver524

BuckyBeaver524
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 3, 2017
    Loc:
    South East
    Loving the warmer weather and the heat pump. Gives me more time to spend with the family.

9. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Warmer weather = less time getting more wood and time to do whatever I want.. I love it.

10. Squisher

Squisher
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 1, 2015
    Loc:
    vernon BC, Canada
    We've had a brutally cold winter and I've been chewing through a lot of wood. So finally it's warmed up this week to around freezing and I am really enjoying it. Right now it's zero Celsius at my place but snowing to beat to the band.

IMG_1233.JPG

madison and BigFir like this.
  11. snavematt

snavematt
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 7, 2016
    Loc:
    Virginia
    yeah but I just had the stove installed grrrrr. I do like the nice weather, but it is January, I would like it a least a little cold

12. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Lot more coming too. We've had 3" rain in the past day and a half.

13. Squisher

Squisher
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 1, 2015
    Loc:
    vernon BC, Canada
    Yah it's been super unsettled here. Besides sweeping I do snow removal contracting with a couple of truck mounted plows so when the weather has been so unpredictable like it has the last couple of nights I'm literally up at 2:30 to check for snow, then 4:30 and 6:30 if I haven't already rolled out. It grows old fast, but helps keep the lights on.

14. heavy hammer

heavy hammer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Kirtland Ohio
    The rain has made work a disaster, were reinsulating four different transmission lines and we're getting equipement stuck everyday. On sat we just about buried a tracked 125 foot bucket working in a swamp. I hate the cold but a few weeks of below freezing would help freeze the ground up and make life a little easier. On the bright side I'm hardly burning any wood, been burning cedar rounds split in half or quartered and the house is still 80. Just a weird Jan if it is going to stay warm it needs to stop raining, but that is life right?

15. RandyBoBandy

RandyBoBandy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 25, 2015
    Loc:
    Whitmore lake
    I don't think I have ever had to produce so much kindling before. Running through some matches and fatwood too. This is more work then just reloading off of coals if you ask me.

16. EJL923

EJL923
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 29, 2009
    Loc:
    Western Mass
    I dont mind the burning part, i like being able to burn down to coals, unlike having to load the hog up sooner than later

For the first time ever i bought dedicated snow tires, and its been warm temps and rain. Rain in winter is depressing to me

RandyBoBandy likes this.
  17. jatoxico

jatoxico
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 8, 2011
    Loc:
    Long Island NY
    Welcome to my world. The 550 has a smallish firebox and not known for long burns. Lotsa cold starts I can tell ya.

RandyBoBandy likes this.
  18. BigFir

BigFir
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Sep 22, 2015
    Loc:
    Kamloops BC
    Ya it is sure messy here in the "Loops" 5 Celsius yesterday and the same forecasted for today. Got some heavy rain last night too. I hate the mess.....

Squisher likes this.
  19. Squisher

Squisher
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 1, 2015
    Loc:
    vernon BC, Canada
    We've been staying slightly cooler -3 overnight but supposed to get up to 3 today. We are getting pretty sloppy around here too though.

20. snavematt

snavematt
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 7, 2016
    Loc:
    Virginia
    60 degrees past few days, upper 30s and 40s at night. did a quick poplar fire last night cause the wife wanted one. looking like another week of mild weather

21. buc74

buc74
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 16, 2012
    Loc:
    NE Wisconson
    We've warmed to the mid 30s and even 40s this last week and some rain. So we decided to take a break from burning (for a few days) since we seemed to be getting low on wood. We won't run out but you just don't know how long the winter will be. My wife is now working 1-2 days a week so were pretty much burning 24/7. She really has fell in love with our wood stove and the burning of wood.

22. fire_man

fire_man
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 6, 2009
    Loc:
    North Eastern MA
    Two mild winters in a row -- amazing. The reports I read said El Nino was so strong last year that the Atmosphere was still "adjusting" to the previous extremely warm ocean temperatures and that left over heat was still circulating the globe.

23. RandyBoBandy

RandyBoBandy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 25, 2015
    Loc:
    Whitmore lake
    It's killing me to keep turning nice sized splits into a bunch of smaller splits.

24. jatoxico

jatoxico
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 8, 2011
    Loc:
    Long Island NY
    Yeah, having to re-cut a bunch of wood would be way down on my list of things I want to do. That's not my problem so much since it will take a split up to almost 24" but the firebox is not deep only about 12". So loading N/S is pretty much not going to happen and its tough to fill fully E/W.

The fact that it takes long sticks is a good thing since is as a scrounger I get logs cut to all different lengths. Even the wood cut by local tree guys who aren't worried about cut lengths usually fits.

25. RFarm

RFarm
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 24, 2013
    Loc:
    North Georgia Mountains
    63F out at 7pm. 70F in the house, last fire was 2 nights ago. I got 300 seed cells planted and might fire up tonight just so they can germinate. I usually have no problem keeping the house mid 70's this time of year, but now even a small fire puts me close to 80F - that is just too hot. I guess we will open a few windows, but that just feels like throwing money away!

heavy hammer likes this.